21 ~ 𝙩𝙤 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚 𝙖𝙜𝙖𝙞𝙣

Lottie

Six weeks didn't seem like much when I first heard it, but now that only a week has passed at the Right Arm's camp, it felt like an eternity. I think everyone at the camp was getting quite sick of me, as I was asking many questions about the raid. Slowly but surely, the plan was coming together.

I was getting to know the other girls at the camp as well. It was so nice to finally have girls around, after spending so much time surrounded by boys. Sonya and Harriet – the two girls that were with Laurence when he found us in the woods – turned out to also be fugitives from WICKED. They told me all about it at breakfast one morning.

"I think WICKED's plan for us was to put us in Group B," said Harriet, tossing her cornrow braids over her shoulder. "They were going to do it soon, too; we could sense something was off with the way they were treating us."

"Harriet was going to be put in first, I reckon," said Sonya, in a very familiar accent, one I knew all too well. "I remember us staying up way past our bedtimes to scheme. I was determined to get you out of there." Sonya looked at Harriet, water pooling in her eyes. She sniffed, and then grinned. "But then the Right Arm came and rescued us all. And a lot better than we would have done it, too."

I spent so much time examining Sonya, it might have become a little creepy, but I swear she was so familiar. I knew why: She was the spitting image of Newt. Every single feature of hers reminded me of him. I began to wonder if they were related, but that was near impossible.

Sonya did stare at Newt a lot. At first it disgruntled me, but then after more observation I realized she wasn't watching him because she was attracted to him. She was watching him with longing, like he was somebody she used to know.

One day, I grew tired of the curiosity and walked straight up to her and asked her about it. What I didn't expect was for her to break down in tears the second the question left my lips. I had taken her aside inside one of the empty tents, so there was no one around to help me calm her down. She sat herself down on a cot and buried her face in her hands. I just stared down at her with wide eyes.

Slowly, I knelt down and gently pulled her hands from her face. She sniffed and tried to wipe away her tears. "I didn't mean to upset you, it was just a question-"

"I know," she wailed. "I did know him. He's my brother." I let out a short gasp. I thought that was impossible? "WICKED took us away from our parents when we were young; I can't remember it much, all I remember is snow. It must have been winter... but that doesn't matter. My parents were dead, and while we were at WICKED, I barely saw my brother at all. I think they were trying to make me forget about him. But I never forgot. I would never forget, and I didn't think he would, but..." She trailed off, and she looked like she was going to start crying again.

"He didn't want to," I said lowly. "He didn't have a choice. He forgot everything when he was put in the Maze."

"I know, but I really thought... I really thought he would remember me. I'm his sister," said Sonya.

"Why haven't you talked to him about it?"

"I couldn't do that to him," she said. "It would be torture to him to know that there was someone who loved him that he can't remember."

I stayed silent for a few moments, because that is exactly what happened with me and him; I loved him, he loved me... and yet we both forgot. "I think if he knew, he would immediately start loving you again," I said. "Because that's the kind of person he is. If there is someone deserving of his love, he is going to give it to them."

"Am I deserving of it, though?" Sonya asked.

"You said it yourself. You're his sister. The second he knows, he's going to love you again. He just doesn't know yet."