(Edited) Chapter 10

Chapter Ten

Hailey

Aiden kisses me goodbye just outside of my class, his lips moving affectionately over mine; giving me butterflies in my belly. When he breaks the kiss I smile at him, and he returns the gesture—unleashing another swarm of butterflies.I bid him goodbye and enter the classroom.

My so called friend passes me a knowing smile as I take my designated seat. "I still can't believe you're dating the Aiden Walkers." Amyra gushes.

I roll my eyes. "You speak of him as if he's a celebrity," I mutter, extracting my history notebook from my bag.

"He might as well be. He's so hot."

"Um are we forgetting he's my boyfriend?" I point out.

Amyra rolls her eyes. "Are you forgetting he's your boyfriend?"

"What do you even mean?"

"Do you know a certain Scarlett Stevenson?"

I immediately freeze when I hear her name. "W—what about her?" I mumble, hoping I don't look as tense as I feel.

"Nothing much. It might be false but I heard these rumors about her and him..."

"Him?As in Aiden? What rumours?"

"Just that they have this thing going on or something. This girl in their class saw them together after the period ended. They were staring into each other's eyes. They looked pretty cosy..."

"That's bullshit!"

"It could be false, but if I were you, I'd be a little more careful—especially of Scarlett. She seems to be a sly one." I can see Amyra is enjoying my discomfort. She's always been like this. I don't even know if I can even consider her my friend. But she's all I have.

"What can I do about it?" I ask her.

"If I were you, I'd go to Scarlett and...talk. You know, just make it clear who's the girlfriend here."

"You want me to ask Scarlett to keep her distance from him?" I can't believe what Amyra is suggesting me to do.

"Pretty much, yes. But again, it's all up to you. You can sit here and do nothing—let her flock around him, and let her wound him around her fingers, like she intends to.Or you can set some boundaries."

The teacher chooses this moment to enter the class so we stop talking. "Think about it," Amyra mouths.

And I do think about it.

****

I decide I'm won't  say anything to Scarlett. As much as I dislike her and her presence, she hasn't done anything out of the line (yet) I have no reason to walk up to her and lash out at her, just because of some rumours. This is exactly what I tell Amyra when she asks what I've decided to do.

She makes a face. She'd clearly been anticipating drama. "I didn't want to do this, I really didn't. But you leave me no choice. This one's gonna hurt," she says mysteriously like she knows about something I don't.

"What are you talking about?"

"Come with me." That's all she says. And like the fool I am, I follow her. I know this will cause us to be late for the next class but I'm really curious. She takes me through a series of corridors before I realise we're in front of our school's dance studio.

I pass Amyra a quizzical look. "Why are we here?"

"You'll see."

And I do. I see Aiden, and I see Scarlett. They both are dancing with each other. I pass Amyra a bored look. "So? Aiden told me he's been assigned this dance project with her. It's no big deal." We're both hidden from view, peeking in through the slightly ajar door.

"Are you sure? Look closely."

I look at her quizzically, before rolling my eyes at her. I turn back to look at Aiden and Scarlett. They both are laughing now. It would have been normal, really—two best friends laughing about something. But this was different. There was something...more. Her hands were still wrapped around his neck and his around her waist. They were looking into each other's eyes as they laughed. Then slowly the laughter subsided—morphing into perfect silence.

I expected them to move away from each other, since the music had stopped. They didn't. They just...stood there, looking at each other, staring into each other's eyes. With my heart in my throat, I looked at them. They were close to each other—too close.

What is Aiden doing?! Why isn't he pushing her away? What will he do?

They step away a minute later. But that minute is a little too late. By the time it happens, I've already decided something.

Scarlett and I...we need to talk.

****

Scarlett

I quickly rush to the washroom. I glance at my watch and see that the next class begins in fifteen minutes. Good, I need time to calm myself. People give me curious glances as I rush to the girl's washroom, like my ass is on fire. But my ass isn't—my heart is.

I sigh with relief when I see the washroom is empty. No annoying freshman girls gossiping about "that hot senior guy". I put down my bag and take out my hair brush and start brushing my hair repeatedly. It pacifies my turbulent mind. I feel much better. I put it back and take out my lip gloss, and apply a fresh layer on my lips. I sigh and smile confidently in the mirror.

I'm a smart, beautiful, independent girl. I don't care if my best friend doesn't have feelings for me. It doesn't matter. I don't care if he likes that Hailey girl. It's—

I hear the door of the washroom being pushed open, producing a creaking sound as it slides over the tiled bathroom floor.

Speak of the devil...

Hailey confidently strides in. I hope against hope that she will head to one of the cubicles. No such luck. Instead of heading there, she walks to the mirror and sets down her bag right next to mine. She spends a minute or two looking at herself, running her fingers through her auburn tresses. She does her makeup, zips up her purse, and then  turns around to leave.

Thank heavens!

She stops, in her path and turns around to face me.

Oh god no.

"Oh hello there, Scarlett! I didn't see you there," she murmurs.

"Um hi..." I reply back, feeling slightly awkward.

"So sad, seems no one ever sees you."

Huh?

"Especially Aiden..."

I freeze as she says this. Is she implying what I think she is implying?

"It must be really hard to clamour for your best friend's attention and affection—and keep failing miserably."

My heart stops beating in my chest for a minute. I clench my palm into fists.

Hailey turns to fully face me; an annoying smirk is plastered on her face. Her smirk quickly morphs into a cold sneer. "Now you listen to me Scarlett, and listen carefully—because I won't repeat myself. Aiden is mine. He is my boyfriend." 

"I know that—"

"Do you? It seems like you've forgotten. No, listen to me, alright? You can't lie to me. I know you have feelings for him. Don't think I haven't noticed how you look at him. But by all means, you can stare at him the whole fucking day, as long as you remember that it's the only thing you can do—stare." She takes a step closer to me, intimidating me with her hateful glare. "But come any closer to him and you'll be sorry—I promise you."

Then instantly her sneer transforms into a soft, delicate smile. Her eyes still glare at me icily though.  She is back into her little Miss sweet mode. "As long as we have this established, we're good to go. See you later Scarlett!"

She turns around for real this time and sashays out the door, leaving me dumbstruck.