11. How does one deal with .......

I dedicate this chapter to starryxzindagi_ I always get the first vote from there!

The next morning, I got up to Kriya's cries. She had dirtied her diaper. I changed it and then she went back to sleep. Hmmm.... Ok then! She probably is more sleepy because of yesterday's hectic schedule. I left her in her crib, took bath and went to the kitchen. It was cooking time!

Maharaj ji was very skeptical when I told him that I would prepare peda from scratch. That's okay! He has never seen me cook. So I put milk on the stove and stirred it occasionally. Milk had come to boil, I put it on simmer and proceded to make Ragi malt for my Kriya. After sometime the milk had started to reduce and ragi malt was done! So I went to the room to see if Kriya was awake. And she was.

So I picked her up and bought her to kitchen. Time for Ragi malt, my baby! Because she was alert and active, she wasn't fussy about eating. I washed her up and decided to secure her in her pram for time being. But before that I checked on the milk, to make sure it was not burning. Just then Kriya was snatched from my hand. Scared, I turned back, only to see that it was Bhairav. I immediately took a step back!

"If you can't give your complete attention to my child in the kitchen, don't bring her here. What if something happened to my baby?" He yelled.

I could only put my head down in shame. Yesterday I could only feed her food with his help. And today I carelessly bought her to the kitchen. How can I be so stupid? Kirti would not have done this. I was married into the house to take care of her. And I could not do that too. What a waste of space!

Kriya who was in her father's arm started squirming, she put her hands out and leaned towards me. But Bhairav held her tightly. "Not now kanna, she is busy now," he said with clenched teeth.

I wanted to deny. I am not busy. Never busy for Kriya. But I could only watch as Bhairav walked back. He acknowledged Stuti, who was at the door with a nod and walked off. Stuti came in, cleared her throat and started going through the supplies. She did not bother to acknowledge me. Fair enough, if not for Kriya, I would never be her co-sister. She is from a better family and upbringing, I told myself as I went back to stirring the milk.

The milk had condensed, it has formed a paste, so I added sugar, and let it dissolve. As it formed a thick paste I added milk soaked saffron in it. Then I wrapped it in a foil and let it cool.

Just then Pragathi came running in, asking us to go to the hall. When we reached there, we got to know that Dhruv was married! A girl stood next to him. She was short, fair and beautiful. She had this big round eyes, filled with mischief. She looked beautiful next to Dhruv. As the family was lecturing them, I looked around to see Bhairav's response. Hope he is not angry!

But... Bhairav had just leaned on to the sofa, folded his arms and watched everything silently. He was not clenching his jaws like he does around me. That means he is not angry. While I was thinking that, he suddenly turned to look at me. When he saw me staring, he raised both his eyebrows, I immediately looked away. Stupid Eesha!