Ten: The Kiss

Ten

My eyes fluttered open slowly, head aching and beating in thick throbs. What happened? Where am I? I thought to myself, as I slowly moved to notice Liam laying beside me. Why is he laying here? I thought again, as I noticed he had one arm behind my head for support, while the other held me tight against his chest.

"Liam?" I wondered, as I pushed my way out of his arms to notice we were in a light blue hospital room. It looked about the same as the other one I was in before when waking up from the crash, but this time had many seats up against the wall.

Oh no, who's hurt? I thought again, before looking to notice the IV's which were placed in my own arm, along with a white hospital gown draped around me.

"It's okay, Auburn. You're okay," he told softly, as I looked over to him who hadn't been asleep at all like it had seemed.  

"What happened? Why am I here?" I questioned, as I attempted to pull out the IV's in my arm, but failed miserably. "I can't stay here, Mason will come. He will be mad that I figured him out. We need to go, run away. Just run away," I told him fast, before clutching onto the bed sheets that coated me and yanking them off.

"No, Auburn, stop! You need to stay here until the doctor comes back to make sure everything is alright. You only fainted, nothing more right now," he said, as he pulled back down the covers onto me. Sighing, I was glad it wasn't anything serious, like another crash for example, but was still worried about Mason.

"But, Mason, my fiancé...I ran out on him, at least that's what I thought?" I questioned, kind of groggy and wondering if what I remembered was true. Nodding, Liam told me I did. "He's going to be so mad..." I mumbled, as I put my hand up to cover my eyes.

"Hey, it's going to be alright. He isn't mad, he was just bewildered as to what made you do that. He's presuming it has something to do with your concussion and being confused still. You know, you could of told me about that all. About the crash..." Liam hesitated, adjusting himself on the hospital bed. Biting my lip, I wanted to look away from his eyes that scanned mine eagerly, but I knew I couldn't. He deserved the truth, even if someone else had told it to him...

"I'm sorry, I just didn't want any pity from you. I wanted to be treated like any other person, not some accident prone girl people write about in books," I replied to him, as I looked up to the ceiling and sighed.

"Well, I wouldn't of been like that and you know it," he said back. "Just don't lie again, okay?"

"Alright, I'm sorry," I said, moving my same broken leg, which was elevated a bit with pillows, out from under the covers. "You know, even if I got in a crash...I did have a good reason for going so fast on those roads..." I hesitated, wanting to tell Liam the reason why I had left Mason at the alter since still no one knew.

"Well may I ask what it was?" he smirked, making me realize he didn't believe I had a good reason.

"Mason was cheating on me and I was going to catch him in the act. I just remembered it at the alter...that's why I left him," I told him, making his eyes enlarge and stare wide eyed at me. I could tell he was in disbelief by such a terrible thing that had been done to me and it made me think twice about telling him it in the first place...

"Auburn, I'm so sorry. How did you know he was doing that? Did you tell him?" he asked, moving forward, intrigued.

"Well obviously I didn't tell him yet due to blacking out," I smirked, nudging him in the side. "and I found out when I saw him at work kissing another woman. Which I soon realized he had been seeing more often as I caught them together more. I didn't tell anyone, however, yet waited to see if he would say anything. But he didn't, so that's when I knew I had to catch him in the act."

"I'm really sorry...next time I see him I swear he will never see the light of day again. What he did to you was terrible," he noted, making me shrug.

"I mean, I guess,"

"You guess? You aren't upset about it at all?" Liam laughed, since what I had said came off completely casual.

"I'm upset with him, yes, but I'm okay. Mason wasn't the right man for me...." I said, looking over at Liam. His eyes looked glassy, almost like he had been crying for some time before I had awoken.

"Well, what's your type then?" he wondered, looking over at me as well. Smiling, I looked away for a moment trying to think. It really wasn't a hard question, but still...I had to think. What was my type? My type was someone who I knew would always be there to care for and love me through everything. Someone who I could be myself around, someone who I could call my other half.

"My type?" I thought once more as I looked back over to him with a smile. Nodding, he waited patiently for my answer, his eyes full of wonder. He was so cute like that. I thought, about to knock myself from it when I realized that I was now free. I didn't have to please my old self and marry Mason anymore, because he cheated on me! I could think all I wanted about Liam now. About how cute he looked, about how wonderful his personality was, about... anything! "You," I replied, looking over to Liam and noticing his eyes turning from wonder-filled to what seemed to be lust.

"Me?" he questioned, smiling that half smile I always loved. Nodding, I knew I was blushing like crazy, but ignored it best I could. "Oh, you don't know how glad I am to hear that!" he excited, as he moved his free hand up to caress my cheek and pull me in for a kiss that I had been waiting so long for...