Short Story - Round One

I had the miscellaneous weapons next to me in the underground shelter. I had all my friends with me, all of us still living, surprisingly. I was the one who was terrified most of all, because December twenty-first, two-thousand and twelve arrived, and we all thought the world was going to stop and gravity would stop, but that was so wrong by every scientist. The zombies have risen, and we all had our guns, swords, baseball bats, metal poles, anything we could use to our advantage.

So now I was here with my friends, and I was separated from my family somewhere along the way, but they can take care of themselves, I’m sure they were alive. I found my friends at least, and I've seen what they could do in paintball, so I'm sure they could fire semi-automatic weapons. But to tell you the truth, I didn't know if that would help us.

"We gotta blow their brains out." Justin told us, carrying a machine gun. "The only way we're gonna live."

"Well, duh. They're zombies." Zeneda stated, holding the baseball bat I knew she was going to be dangerous with. "They're all gonna run once they see me."

"They only eat brains, so you're safe." Caleigh replied smartly, and I laughed lightly. For these last moments, I'm glad I was with them.

"We gotta go guys." Justin ordered, and I stood towards the back, letting them go out first. There were about a dozen of us, and we all had each other's backs, but we had to face facts. We were all going to get killed.

"Hope you all live." I whimpered weakly, and Andrea hugged me one last time before Justin waved us forward.

"We'll all live, we can take a bunch of undead zombies." Andrea assured me, loading her AK-47. "I can take them all by myself."

"Let's just get through this alive." I whispered as we crowded around Justin, who stood on the bottom stair that led up to the surface.

"For the sake of Earth." Justin whispered as I heard the things getting blown up above us, miscellaneous screams above us. "Let's go!"

He burst through the wooden door in the ground and we were on the surface of it all. I was still partly underground when I heard Justin's gun go off, and Andrea started screaming. I had two pistols in my hands as I began shooting everything and anything that was grey, wrinkly and was attacking the human race. We were surrounded by them, but I was glad that every other person in Texas had a gun, or we would really be screwed.

The zombies all walked so slowly it was easy to blow their heads off, but their numbers against us is what made it hard. I'd fire at one, and another would end up behind me. I hear Andrea or Zeneda scream, and I fire at them, and whenever one had me in a headlock, I slam my gun in their head and run away, shooting them behind me as I do.

And I was surprisingly still alive.

We made our way across the ground, running and shooting all at once. I was in the back, and we were almost surrounded, but still ran for it. Our goal was to get with all the other people who somehow built a bunker on the other side of town, and that was the only safe spot for us.

"Come on, we're almost there!" I heard Justin call as I shot stuff behind me, causing me to look away from the front for a couple seconds. I felt my foot catch onto something, and I fell flat on the ground, screaming as I did. I shot the tight hand that was around my foot, and then shot it in the head as Zeneda raced back and helped me up, and then swung her bat at the ones around us. I shot a couple more rounds until it didn't shoot anymore.

"Damn it, I'm out of ammo!" I shrieked as she handed me one of her clubs, and I gladly took it, and we were off running again, swinging our weapons like they were light sabers.

"Come on, we gotta catch up!" Zeneda ordered as I was pulled back again, and swung my club at the zombie, who's head became a baseball as it flung of the neck, causing a domino effect and hitting a bunch of others. All our other friends were in front of us, and the other rednecks joined the fight, and I'm surprised I haven't gotten shot yet because everyone had such bad aim. But the zombies were getting killed off, and that was a good thing.

We were so close to catching up, but as soon as we were two-hundred feet away from the bunker, I saw a couple people go down, Justin in that mess.

"No!" I screamed, watching them rip his heart out from his chest as I swung my bat at it, smashing the zombies head. I glanced down at Justin, who was unmistakenably dead. I felt the tears roll from my face as I got dragged my Andrea by the arm, and they kept up the fighting as we made it to the bunker.

I was the last one in before the heavy stone door shut behind me, and there were about two hundred people there. I wiped the tears from my eyes and huddled with my friends.

"Justin was lost." Zeneda informed, and I nodded slowly, choking back tears. "But the rest of us survived, right?"

"I don't know, I haven't seen Caleigh…" I heard Andrea say, and I glanced around, and she wasn't with us.

"No, not her too!" I cried, shuffling through the crowd to see if I could find her. I didn't, and what was worse was that I didn't find my family either.

"Um, Katie…" I heard a voice behind me, and as I whipped around, I saw it was Sonje. "I was with Ryan in the fight, and… he didn't make it."

"My own damn twin…" I whispered, and Sonje led me back to my group. So that's three people dead or have been turned into a zombie.

"Hey, but most of us lived." Andrea assured me, and I shook my head, listening to the sounds of doomsday just outside the stone walls.

I looked back up at my group. "Yeah, but this was only round one."