Short Story - Mr. Esquivel's Death

He had been beaten hours before. He was now chained to a post in the middle of the room where all of my friends have been waiting for the moment to finally arrive. We've been waiting anxiously, and even though he begs and screams to be let go, we couldn't. There was no reason to let him go, not after what he had done to us all.

I gave a slight nod to my friends in the room, who all had stones in their hands as they entered the room single-filed and quietly. It was dark, and nobody could see, but we weren't completely quiet.

"Please! This is ridiculous, why would any of you do something like this?" He pleaded and asked, rattling the chains around his ankle.

"Shut it." I growled as a dim light shone on me, my head facing the ground as it rose slowly, revealing my evil and demonic glare. "You've done us all a great wrong, Mr. Esquivel."

"Yeah." I heard the others mutter around the room.

"Or shall we call you 'The Canceller'?" I asked as I stepped back and ran my hand over the multiple weapons that were hanging against the wall, but there was only one I was looking at. I picked up the very long, wooden object as my fingertips scraped the smooth surface. "And you didn't even change it."

"What did you expect me to do? It was going to rain!"

"But it didn't!" I shot back, snapping the bat straight at his face, where it stood two inches away from it. "We were all furiously let down that day."

"What could I do?" He asked me, and then the room for the listeners.

"Put a sign up." One answered.

"Gave us the laptop cart." Another replied. "Or the key. We could've locked up."

"I had to get home!"

"You'll never go home again!" I screamed, throwing the bat across the room. He ducked, and I heard it crack against the wall with a sickening sound. I sighed, holding up my hands as I saw a hand from the shadows pick up the bat and throw it back at me. "Or at least… alive."

"That was one day!"

"One day is all it takes!" I replied, walking around him slowly. "Our kind of beings are very impatient people. Once a week was never enough."

"You are all crazy. They're going to find you." He stated, and I laughed loudly as my other friends joined in softly.

Another one stood right next to me, her blonde hair crazy from the beating before. "Mr. Esquivel shouldn't have cancelled it. Mr. Esquivel should've thought about it. Mr. Esquivel should've known this was the punishment!" Her psycho voice was soft, but she had the most sickening and most intelligent mind. "Mr. Esquivel should've been thinking of us!"

"You're talking in third person again!" I shot at her, and it snapped her back to normal. "You're only supposed to do that only when you're tired."

She stared blankly at me, but then laughed insanely. "Or crazy…"

I sent her back before stopping in front of him, leaning in close to his pathetic, terrified face. "You underestimate us then. We've thought through every scenario possible and worked our ways around it. You're a dead man."

"You can't do it." He stated confidently. "You'd be living with the guilt for the rest of your life."

"But that's just it." I laughed as I stepped back into the shadows. "You said it yourself before you left; kill you in multiple ways possible."

"But I meant write a story about it! Not this!" He replied, but I shrugged my shoulders as I held the bat with both hands.

"Oh well." I replied, feeling the bat in my fingers and getting a good grip. I nodded in multiple directions as I heard the sound of stoned banging together. "Let's end his suffering."