9. 'Babysitting'

At 10h00 Deneo is at the door of Lucky and Nara's suite knocking on the door.

"Welcome," Nara says ushering her in. "Could you please hold on to him one second I need to take a quick shower," Nara says handing Slim over. He cries, not wanting to be parted from his mother. She stays on till she can slip out unnoticed.

Rumble now awake makes her way into the living room, it seems looking for her mother, because when she sees Deneo instead, holding her baby brother, she bawls. Nara makes it out of the bathroom in a towel, coddling her daughter. She goes back in the bathroom with Rumble at her hip.

Deneo is caught doting over Slim's tiny hands and feet.

"Bittersweet that they grow up," Nara remarks as she makes her way to the kitchen.

"True," is Deneo's concise reply, she remembering how adorable her brother was as a baby. 

"Here's his porridge," Nara says handing the bowl over. Rumble eats her porridge beside her aid of a mother.

"Do you know how to burp him?" Nara asks opening her arms at Slim.

"I do. But you can go ahead and do it," Deneo expresses handing him over.

"Then don't worry about it darl'. You can do it," she says withdrawing her arms. Glad at her level of trust Deneo holds Slim up rubbing his back. The burp comes as Deneo says "I don't think I remember how to do this." She and Nara laugh, their bond crystallising. Over the course of the day they change diapers, bathe the babies, rock them to sleep, eat lunch and play games with them. By 17h00, Deneo exhausted, Lucky gets back home.

"Daddy" and "Da-da" he hears as he enters the living room. Their father picks them both up giving each a kiss before lowering Rumble to colouring in with Deneo on the living room rug.

The parents share an intimate kiss that colours Deneo's cheeks red. Nara apologises acknowledging Lucky as the instigator to their PDA.

"Deneo knows we're married dear, you shouldn't apologise," is Lucky's charming remark before winking at Deneo. Her heart bursts with scintillating embers and she laughs unable to control it. Her entire face flushes red and Nara laughs finding her cute.

Nara and a Lucky holding Slim disappear to the main bedroom and are there for an uncomfortably long time before Rumble stands up looking for them. The door creaks open and Rumble is taken inside. Nara makes it out thanking Deneo for having come over. And with an endearing hug they part ways.

Maya and Austin are cheered by the visitation. They are actually an abundance of excitement, telling Deneo that she has cemented her way into the family. Lucky's family. Deneo takes it with a grain of salt, but is happy that her attention was diverted for the most part of her time there.

At 8pm Lucky knocks on Deneo's door.

"We're downstairs for supper. Are you coming?" Lucky asks and Deneo grabs her coat going out. Nara greets Deneo with a smile and Rumble says "hi".

"She is so beautiful. She's growing so fast too, isn't she?" Deneo fawns over her.

"She is. In fact both of them are," adds his dad.

"I've only just seen Slim. Happy to be apart of the very few who have," Deneo says casting eyes at his father.

"Are you hinting I should get him on social media?" Is Lucky's surly reply.

"Only if you want to dear," Nara intercedes.

"I'd rather not," he butts.

"And that's okay too dear, right Deneo?" Nara soothes. Deneo shrugs her shoulders and Lucky leaves it at that. And so they enjoy culinary pleasures and Lucky, after dropping off Nara and the kids walks Deneo out as before.

"Nara says you were great with the kids. I was so pleased to hear it," Lucky expresses with a smile. Deneo reflects his saying "I enjoyed every minute of it".

"Could you come in tomorrow too? If that's not encroaching..."

"It isn't. Sure I can. Although, I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever get the chance to work on the book?" She ventures uncertainly.

"Oh. Tomorrow's my last day at work. We've extended our stay for 4 or so days for the express purpose of working on the book. Don't worry about it," Lucky says giving her a hug goodnight.

"I'll be there at 10, again?" Deneo asks to his back.

Lucky turns and nods. "We'd appreciate it."

"Done," is Deneo's crisp reply.

"Great. I'll owe you," he says before vanishing, Maya and Austin appearing in her purview.

"He'll owe you?" Maya clips, with innuendo.

"Let it go," Deneo shreds inwardly.