Chapter 26

{Grian's POV}

Scar and I have been dating for two weeks now and life's never been better for me. We got to know each other a lot better and formed a bond even stronger than before, so strong in fact that we were able to faintly hear each other's thoughts at one point. It was really weird to have the other in our brain though so we both agreed on 'mentally disabling' it. Every second I spent without him felt somewhat painful and it made me quite embarrassed to admit how desperate I was for him. Right now he was out collecting the profits from his shops so I was looking through his bookshelf of books he's read. It was oddly interesting how organized his bookshelves were since barely anything else of his was even a tiny bit organized.

There was a specific book that caught my attention though. It was bigger than all the others and it looked pretty old, it was covered in dust and the paper was yellowish. It was a brown leather hardcover book with shiny golden outlining and the word "𝔖𝔬𝔲𝔩𝔪𝔞𝔱𝔢𝔰" written in golden, very fancy font on the bridge of it. It was the most eye catching book I'd looked at so I decided I would give in a try. Upon pulling it out and trying to rid it of dust, I realized that it was either sunken into the leather itself or the dust was just an effect because the book was in peak condition. I wasn't surprised, Scar tends to keep his things in 'tip top shape'.

The book was incredibly heavy and it was as long as my upper arm and probably as wide as four of my upper arms side by side. I giggled at myself for measuring the book in upper arms. Excitement shot through me as I opened the cover. It looked exactly like you'd expect an ancient book to look like, yellowish ends on the slightly ruffled papers. The first page of the book read, '𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔫𝔠𝔦𝔢𝔫𝔱 𝔗𝔞𝔩𝔢 𝔬𝔣 𝔖𝔬𝔲𝔩𝔪𝔞𝔱𝔢𝔰' it wasn't much, but for some reason it deeply intrigued me. Upon reading further into it I realized that it wasn't a story, it was more of an informational book.

It told the tale of the soulmates, two people who would be destined to find their way to each other in each and every life they lived. It said that upon meeting each other they would be able to feel the other's feelings. The more I read, the more I realized that I was living this. The flashbacks to past lives with your soulmate, I had those with Scar, the feeling the other's feelings, I had that with Scar, even being able to read each other's mind when your bond is strong enough, I had that with Scar!

I felt sharp pain rush through me as I realized that Scar knew about this. He knew we were soulmates, that we had a connection beyond words, and he didn't tell me. He had every opportunity to since we stayed up all night talking to each other and telling each other everything more than once, yet he never brought this up. We said no more lies, still he kept the truth from me. I felt tears prick at my eyes, why would he keep this from me? As if he could read my mind, I heard him open up the front door. I went to see him, still holding the book in my hands. I knew there were tears streaming down my face and onto the shirt I was wearing, which happens to be his.

He looked down at the book with pure terror. "You read it?" His voice was shaky. I couldn't think of anything to say, so I just laid the book down gently as to not cause any damage to it, and ran past him and through the door. I turned around the corner of his house and ran in the direction it was facing away from. I heard him call out for me as he followed closely behind me. Tears were blurring my vision as the feeling of betrayal filled my soul. Before I could even realize where I was headed, I was falling. I heard my lover's screams of terror as he saw me fall, then, I turned the direction I was facing and saw him fall down the ravine as well.

I felt like everything was in slow motion, the way he was falling made him drop faster than me and he reached his hand out for mine. I did the same and he held me in midair. As I looked into his eyes I saw 99 lives flash before my own. "I love you, Scar." I whispered sadly as I felt my tears lift up into the air as I fell down. "I love you too, Grian." He whispered back as he turned us around, possibly in an attempt to fall first and try to save me from my inevitable end.