6

Isabella

I am the biggest idiot.

What was I thinking? That the heir to the Reign dynasty wanted me as his wife because I'm actually a human being with some substance?

The idiot wants me to be a trophy wife! Silent and agreeable with no opinion or life purpose outside of him and his plans for my life!

I storm across the office, weaving my way through the office chairs and not caring if it's making them messy. I just need to get out of this building. His building. I was stupid to even come here in the first place.

I'm too focused on making it to the elevator that I don't hear the footsteps behind me until its too late. I definitely don't anticipate being manhandled and pushed against the closest desk.

"And where do you think you're going?" His voice is low and he speaks directly into my ear whilst one of his hands holds me in place against the desk by my waist. The other hand grips my arm which I had placed on the desk to steady myself during his attack.

Face to face, pressed up against each other, I find it hard to catch my bearings. We're both breathing heavily, our breathes coming out in stagnated puffs.

I allow myself seven seconds. Seven seconds to feel the butterflies, for my heart to beat in its out of sync rhythm and senses to be overwhelmed by everything that is Kian Reign.

Once those seven seconds are up, I force the words out of my mouth. "Let me go."

He doesn't make a move and doesn't release his grip. If anything, it tightens.

"Kian." I sigh, feeling overwhelmed and completely out of my depth.

"No," is his gruff response. No explanation, just one word.

"I told you. I don't want to do this. It was wrong of me to come here or even entertain your idea. Let. Me. Go."

"No."

I drop my head back at a loss because realistically, this guy is way bigger and heavier than I am.

"Why did you walk away?" Kian grits out quietly.

I can't control my scoff. Is he really this clueless about how his plan comes across?

"Really?" I question in disbelief.

"Why?" He repeats. I look at him and he seems to be genuinely confused.

"Kian, you do realise, the way you describe your plan and the role of your wife... it's..." I pause, trying to find the right words.

"It's what?" He presses.

"It's ridiculous!" Whoops. So much for trying to find the right words.

"I am not that type of girl. The girl who wants to have a man making decisions for her and wants to live blissfully ignorant and unaware of everything bad in the world just because her husband has money. I can't be quiet if I feel strongly about something and I won't be silenced just because you say so. I'm not going to be that for you. I-"

"Stop." Kian interrupts me as I speak but I don't listen. He can't boss me around like I'm at his disposal.

"You stop. I don't want to be a part of this. I'm not the right fit for the image you have concocted of what your wife will be. I clearly don't fit into that mould. Now please, Kian, can you let me g-"

"Isabella!" He says my name sternly, with a sharp bite that has me silencing myself. Kian still has me pressed sgainst the desk and as I look up at his face, I realise how he is still as much of an enigma close up as he was when he was sitting behind his desk earlier.