17

Isabella

Today is moving day and I'm absolutely dreading it. Not only is it moving day, but I'm exactly one month away from marrying Kian. That is if we don't kill each other before then.

Kian's assistant organised movers to come over to mine to pack everything up and I've spent the day managing them whilst trying to control my mum and her excitement over me moving in with my fiancé.

Everyone assumes that we've spent time at his place before, asking me questions about whether it is grand, what his interior choices are, and whether I'm going to redecorate it to add my own touch. The truth is that I haven't even seen a picture, let alone actually visited my new home.

Since seeing him in Chief's office, Kian has not mentioned my moving in to his once in person. Our weekly lunches continue with the usual stagnated silence and he got his assistant to send over the address to confirm I knew where I was going. At this point, I might as well marry his assistant because I speak to her more than I speak to Kian.

Having thoroughly googled the address and amenities as soon as I received it, I know that there is an underground parking garage, gym and receptionist at the building. Thankfully, the movers have taken all of my belongs so I only have myself to take to reception when I arrive. I'm given all the codes and my key, which Kian has apparently left for me. I guess that answers the question of whether he will be home when I arrive. Home. It feels alien to think of this place as my home. I've been thinking of it as a temporary move but I guess this is where I'll be based for the foreseeable.

I follow the printed instructions to the elevator and select the level where Kian lives, and enter the access code. From my internet search, I know that Kian has the whole floor and a second one above which he has converted into a two storey living space. I was surprised that he didn't own the penthouse but who's to say he doesn't own this entire building?

I hate that I'm nervous as I watch the numbers go up. I have absolutely no idea what I'm walking into, but I do know I'm going to have Kian-sensory overload.

"Holy shit," I gasp as the elevator opens directly into the apartment- if it can even be called that. Light, airy and with huge open spaces, this is not what I had imagined. I wonder into the main living space and take it all in. The stairs look almost hollow, with the upstairs area being encased in glass above the living room, exposing some of the space on the second floor. Is that- a library up there?

Holy cow! I wonder around, noting how tidy the kitchen is. Of course, there is a huge island in the middle, with one of those fancy sink taps and a hidden extracter fan which rises on the press of a button. I have no shame in snooping inside the pantry, finding it slightly amusing that Kian seems to have a stash of chocolates filled to the brim in one drawer.

I make my way upstairs and head straight to the library. It has a small reading nook and I'm surprised to see an open book left with the spine facing upwards. Interesting. All the doors upstairs are left ajar apart from one. Kian's room. I don't need to physically go in there to know it's his. The door is imposing as it mocks me.

I find my boxes piled up in a room across the hall. It's spacious, with a small en suite bathroom. It feels like it was decorated in neutral colours as a grand spare room and it doesn't feel like me at all. I sigh, looking all of the boxes around me. This is going to have be a post-dinner job. I order some food on uber eats, opening the box closest to me and slowly sorting through it. I get lost in my own world, only pulled away from the notification buzzing that my food is arriving. I'm on my way to the lift when I hear a beeping. Is that an alarm? Did I trip something somehow?

As I get to the ground floor, I realise it's a wall mounted panel near the entrance, with a tablet sized screen. Reception is calling. I guess I should answer that. I feel like an intruder but answer anyway.