Chapter 17: Sisters

"Be careful."

Mary flashed John a wry smile. He stood on the other side of the hallway as she was ready to enter the library to meet Jane. At least she hoped it was Jane who had sent the note.

"It's my sister," she said. "I can't imagine what could go wrong other than her refusing to return home with me."

"Still," he said with a stubborn tilt to his jaw. "Be careful."

With a nod, she turned back to the door and pushed it. The soft click of it opening sounded more ominous than any door opening in her life, and she couldn't help but think that John's worry had somehow tainted her feelings. Stepping inside, she closed the discouraging door and looked around. A familiar shape stood at the far end of the room, looking out the window.

Relief flooded her as she recognised her sister's sable hair—the same colour as her own—and the stubborn set of her shoulders. Unlike the other residents, Jane appeared to be wearing a regular morning dress with a bluebell pattern. Something Mary was rather happy about since it might mean her sister truly was not taking part in the activities. There might still be hope to bring her home with no one the wiser and everyone's reputations still intact.

"Jane!"

Her sister turned around but stayed where she was. "Mary."

She frowned. There was an aloofness to Jane she wasn't accustomed to. And a maturity she did not remember her having. It made her hesitate and instead of rushing forward to take her sister in her arms, she took only a few steps further into the room.

"Are you well?" she asked carefully.

"I am. You should not have come here." Jane shook her head, a hint of frustration clear in her voice.

"You must have known I would try to find you." Somehow, finding her sister unharmed and apparently unrepentant rubbed her the wrong way, and her temper sparked. "Surely you are aware of how your actions will reflect badly on the whole family if found out. I have come to bring you home before anyone notices your absence. We can still salvage this."

"No." Jane walked around the large desk and came to stand before her. They were of equal height and their eyes locked in battle. "I am not coming home."

"You are," Mary bit off. "Because I will not have you ruining the family on my watch."

"It isn't your watch though, it's Aunt Lucy's."

"We both know Aunt Lucy doesn't watch anyone or anything unless it's a handsome man. Please come with me now. We can leave this place." She reached out to take Jane's arm, but the younger woman stepped back.

"You don't understand. Archie and I are soul mates, and I'm staying with him."

A chill travelled down Mary's spine. Maybe it was too late after all. "What are you saying? Has he compromised you?"

Jane rolled her eyes at the question. "He loves me."

"That's not what I asked." Mary crossed her arms over her chest as if to ward herself from the inevitable truth.

A slow smile spread over her sister's face, softening her features and making her blue eyes glitter. "We're married. We went to Gretna Green before coming here."

"I... You..." Words failed Mary. Jane was married? To Hayes? A marriage at Gretna Green wasn't ideal, but at least her sister wasn't living in sin. She groaned. "You could have mentioned this earlier."

"I could have," Jane allowed. "But this was much more amusing."

Mary wasn't sure she appreciated her sister's humour right then. "How long have you known I was here?"