18 || crazy eyes

~ Alejandra ~

Something I realize more and more as the years pass is that public school has to be the strangest thing ever.

After yesterday's... events, cops rounded up the known Imperio members to question them about the shooting when the building was cleared by the police.

It's the same routine every time anything gun, drug or hooker related takes place in this neighborhood, which is quite often.

Around six boys, most in their junior year, were pulled from the crowd of students that were escorted from the building one classroom at a time. It's the routine.

I stood outside answering questions of one of the detectives at the scene while taking in the surroundings for myself. Cars on either corner were marked by bullet holes with glass on the floor from shattered windows.

There was some blood behind the two vehicles on either side that painted the pavement, telling everyone that both parties took a hit from their opponents.

The voice of the officer buzzed in the background of everything while I watched Gabriel leisurely get into the back of one of the squad cars as if it was nothing new.

He wasn't cuffed but he wasn't very pleased with it either and I watched as he was driven off, not even sparing me a glance out the window.

The thought of texting him crossed my mind a few times. Maybe to see if he was alright or to thank him for helping me multiple times throughout yesterday's events.

Then, I remembered I'm a bitch and I hate him.

Besides, I knew I'd be seeing him in class today regardless. While it would've been a guess that school would be canceled for at least a day, but Anderson had other plans.

A school wide email was sent out saying that since it was found that no one in our school had anything to do with the incident and the shots weren't intended for students, class is still in session.

Why? What a marvelous question. One that I don't have even a guess of the answer to. All I know is that this shit wouldn't fly in a private school.

Even so, a lot of kids aren't here today. Parents are probably spooked by the incident, rightfully so.

But alas, with no parent to give a shit about me or my well being, I had no real reason to stay home. If anything, I'd rather be in school learning about absolutely nothing than be cooped up in the house with daddy dearest.

When I got to school this morning, homeroom was half empty.

There were only sixteen kids out of the forty three in our homeroom and each ongoing class wasn't any better. The only good thing is that Nayah is here today.

She definitely spent her night begging to come in today since her mom is a tad bit overprotective.

In P.E, it was easy to spot her since there weren't many people to search through in the locker room like there usually are. Once she saw me, she immediately ran up to me and gave me a hug that, for once, I reciprocated.

"That shit was so scary." She whispered into my shoulder. I only nodded.

Once she let go, we sat on the nearest bench, hand in hand.

"I couldn't even sleep last night. I just keep remembering the sound of the shots from the cafeteria. The chaos of everyone running and screaming. It was so horrible."

I didn't meet her eyes as memories from my attempts at sleep last night flooded my mind. I kept hearing shots too, but not from yesterday.

Every time I'd drift to sleep, the scene of my mom falling to the floor with a gunshot wound to the chest would appear in my mind. I'd wake up each time, sweating, crying and out of breath.