Why we love billionaire romance stories

Wealth, power, and influence—when a character falls in love with a billionaire like Greek tycoon Adonis Stavrakos in Billionaire's Rebellious Bride (Neilani Alejandrino), anything is possible. Despite falling for a billionaire being next to impossible in real life (tragic, we know), billionaire love is one of the most popular tropes in the fictional romance world. I mean, who doesn't want a one-way ticket to making our dreams come true? These stories are the ultimate escape from everyday life, and we love them.

 I mean, who doesn't want a one-way ticket to making our dreams come true? These stories are the ultimate escape from everyday life, and we love them

If you haven't read Neilani's Wattpad hit yet, let's get you up to speed. Billionaire's Rebellious Bride follows Elena, a woman with no choice but to plead for financial help from her ruthless, wealthy grandfather to save her terminally ill mother's life. He agreed to help on one condition—that Elena says "I do" to powerful Greek tycoon, Adonis. Breathtaking, gorgeous, and absolutely cruel, Adonis takes after her grandfather with his merciless, strict ways. Little does he know, he's dealing with Elena, a beautiful redhead who marches to the beat of her own drum, just like her mother.

It has all the makings of a classic enemies-to-lovers story, all about steamy power dynamics that would otherwise be super problematic if it were happening in real life. Although the genre reflects heteronormative power structures and traditional gender roles, it's slowly changing to become more inclusive (shout out to The Billionaire and the Waitress, Miss CEO, and The CEO's Kryptonite). Here's why Wattpadders (and us, TBH) love these stories so much.

1. The power dynamic is provocative

Stories are just one safe place where unconventional (and maybe questionable) ideas can be explored and imagined freely. Let's be honest—a woman being forced to marry a man in order to save her mother's life would, in real life, be problematic. But in the pages of Billionaire's Rebellious Bride, the plot has the freedom for more nuance and the safety to explore those fun what-ifs—without causing real-life harm.

The power struggle between Adonis and Elena is, for lack of a better word, hot. Haven't you ever dreamed about fighting back against your oppressor, only to fall in love with him? Just us? The tension created as Adonis pushes back against her rebellious nature builds on that passion. The story then plays into a fantasy of being able to soften and change a person, like Adonis or Elena, with the power of undeniable chemistry. And when they both put down their weapons, true love is able to blossom. If we couldn't do that with our exes, why not read about it, right?