2.3 | The Mystery of the missing boy.

Episode 01

A red-coloured car entered a huge gate and moved along the twisted concrete lanes surrounded by dense trees towards a well-lit huge rocky building. The car screeched as it reached the building. There was no one around. The shrieking sound of insects and the croaking of frogs filled the entire area. The moon was in deep slumber, covering the warm blanket of dark clouds. The fresh smell of the earth after the rains filled the area. The doors of the car opened, and four people came out. No one from the building came out. The building sported a deserted look. If there had been no lights, one would have considered it a haunted building. But these four people stood before the building, stretching themselves after a long car journey. They pulled their items of luggage from the car and started moving.

'You go ahead, guys. I will join you soon.' said Ankit.

'You could not wait for a few moments.' snapped Shamita.

'Oh! please, Shamita. Please don't be so harsh on him. Just think, he did not smoke the entire journey. Go ahead, and give me one as well.' winked Ritika and smiled.

Prateik and Shamita laughed. They picked up their luggage and went ahead, leaving these two behind.

'Do not forget to bring your luggage.' shouted Prateik as he reached the main door.

Ankit and Ritika stood near the car and smoked quietly. There was an awkward silence between them. They looked around while kept on exhaling the smoke of clouds. The wind was cool and pleasant, while the clouds had already started taking cover for another round of rain. The croaking sound reflected the happiness of the frogs seeing the dark clouds. Ankit and Ritika looked at each other.

'I hope things do not go out of hand.' said Ritika.

'Let's not talk about it.' said Ankit as he stubbed his cigarette.

He picked up the remaining luggage and indicated to Ritika to move inside. She stubbed her cigarette and started to move when she heard a rustle in the bushes. She turned around, and there was nothing. Might be a small animal. Thinking, she again moved when a pair of eyes glowed inside the bushes.

When they reached inside, they saw Prateik and Shamita ready with the room keys.

'Let's go. Let's meet in my room in some time. I have requested some food. Their kitchen is closed, but they would arrange something.' said Prateik.

With it, Prateik and Ritika moved into one room while Ankit and Shamita went inside another. When Ankit crossed the reception, the manager looked confused, but it was none of his business. He looked the other way around. The dense clouds were ready to wreak havoc with heavy rains, as lightning and thunder filled the entire sky, welcoming the rains.

Episode 02

'The next performance for our annual Police day celebration is by the school children of Modern convent school. Please welcome them with huge applause.' announced the host.

The stadium was filled with Police. It was an annual event to celebrate the Police force of Bibhutisthal. Madhav was sitting in the second row, enjoying the function with his family. After many days, there have been no major crimes in the city. John had come with his mother and was sitting in another row. Every year, the city's people celebrate this day for the services of the Police.

The Police of Bibhutisthal have been protecting the city's people even before Independence. The events continued while the police officials enjoyed the event along with several delicacies arranged for them. Many famous personalities were invited to perform, and the bureaucrats were invited to grace the event. Madhav's phone pinged, but he ignored it. Madhav has just filed a charge sheet for a double homicide case and was looking for a break. This event was a much-needed break for him to spend time with his family. He was planning to take a leave for some days. But something was not right. The walkie-talkies were always in action, but this time it was different. The sound from the walkie-talkie echoed his name. Maybe it was his imagination. A police constable came near him and whispered something. Madhav did not like it but kept a straight face.