52 || Cute Little Thieves

Being dragged out from the comfort of his books and potions in order to commit a crime neither of them had planned for was dumb and reckless. This stupid decision was made by Kellen, and the stupider decision to allow himself to be dragged by his curiosity – and physically – was made by Aubrey.

Because it was impossible for a smart decision to be made whenever it concerned Kellen, and this time was no different.

"This date sucks." Aubrey shivered from the cold, and he hugged himself trying to warm himself and protect his hands from the cold, but to no avail. He regretted not asking Kellen earlier about what he had been planning, especially when they diverted their route from the streets and into the wilderness.

Kellen was silently amused as he continued to lead Aubrey deeper and deeper into the dark forest where anything could be lurking.

The street they walked away from was leading to a very isolated and upper-class area. A place where many 'rich snobs' were expected to reside, and Aubrey's aunt was one of them. He could remember her residence being somewhere nearby, and he worried that she would be involved in this little adventure he was having with Kellen.

Fortunately, they weren't since the hidden path they were taking was leading them to the western side where not many lived. It almost made Aubrey feel relieved, but he didn't know if he should be since they were now in a dark forest.

Aubrey was going to ask about where they were going before they stopped in front of a wall hidden behind a thicket, and Kellen gestured at it with a grin on his face that told Aurbey he would regret ever coming here.

"We're here."

"Here where?" Aubrey asked, wishing he could illuminate his surroundings, but he did not have that ability. All he could see was a tall wall that hid what's behind it and he couldn't really see anything else since the rest of it was hidden by all the trees and bushes.

Kellen didn't immediately answer him as he began to climb a nearby tree to climb over the wall. It didn't take long for him to be sitting on top of the wall as he smiled down at Aubrey who refused to move from his place. "What are you waiting for? Climb up."

"I will not." Aubrey hissed, shaking his head as he took a few steps away from the wall. "I won't break into a-"

Before he got to complete his sentence, an invisible force flung him over the wall and made him land gently into the other side. The abruptness of that had shocked him, and he sat on the grass wondering just where he was when Kellen climbed down the wall.

They were in a large garden, a very grand and strange one. Aubrey wasn't much interested in gardens, and there was nothing unusual about the plants, but some of the decorations only seemed normal before one took a closer look. The whole place was beautifully macabre, a bit like a large cemetery but a lot more beautiful and adorned.

Then Aubrey's eyes fell on the large building a few distances away from them, and he all but groaned when it became clear what they were doing. However, his dismay was quickly forgotten when he noticed something.

The manor filled him with unease, it was a bit dark due to the color of the stone that built it and the dark wood that framed its windows and gave it a certain touch in how it decorated it. Some parts of it looked older – especially at the back – but as it went on it looked as if it had been expanding through the centuries. It was one of the biggest Aubrey had ever seen.

And the people living there seemed to be disgustingly wealthy.

"Where are we?"

"Somewhere where we need to be very careful and quiet." Kellen told him, walking towards a section of the house as if he knew the place. It was clear to Aubrey that he knew his way around – at least in that area – and he had been here before a couple of times. He silently followed Kellen until they stood in front of one of the smaller doors, a door usually used by servants of the place. "Actually, turn us invisible if anyone appears."