Chapter 10

Mila's POV

When Avery went to the bathroom to sort herself out I decided to sit down on the bed and wait for her patiently. I look down at my hands and cringe at the stage of them. They're bruised and bloody from the fight that just happened and I need to wash them asap. Or when Avery is done. This sort of ruined the mood at this point.

I should have given her more credit than I did. Her coverup, or rather lack of it, is actually genius. And the fact that she's got a criminal psychology degree gives her all the freedom she needs to go work anywhere for some time being until she decides to up and leave. She could even work from home if she needed to.

The fact that I didn't sus her out earlier still baffles me. I sit there for another 5 minutes overthinking it whilst rubbing my bloody knuckles before it dawns on me.

She could have been sent by someone to take me out. Someone knows how valuable I am and the top dog of our company is looking into promoting me at some time soon. Someone's feeling the competition so they want to take my spot therefore they thought they'd send someone new, under the radar, innocent looking and I'll be expected to not catch on. I'd be expected to be caught off guard. Shit.

I look up when the bathroom door finally opens and Avery casually emerges without looking in my direction. She rummages through some drawers but soon gives up. She leans against the desk with a sigh with her back facing me but I can still see her concerned expression through the mirror that was hanging right in front of her.

"Do you think someone is out to get one of us? I just can't shake off this feeling that either of us could be the..." she trails off and looks up to meet my gaze through the mirror.

"You tell me. Do you think someone's out there to get one of us? I have my suspicions." I respond in a suggestive tone and wait for her to catch on.

"And you think someone sent me out to catch you off guard and kill you for no reason eh?" She asks with a sad smile and looks down at her own hands.

"Can you blame me? I couldn't find any information about you except you living a normal life, you've got a degree that will allow you to roam free everywhere and still keep a low profile in the normal world. It gives you freedom. You're good at hiding your emotions and your intentions, you know you've got this hold over me since day one, you know exactly what to say and you willingly decided to come up here with me even after you found out what I do for a living. So yeah, I am trying to go down the list of people that want me dead and people that are most likely to do it. And you're at the top." I explain my reasons to her and sigh. What's my next move? Knock her out and run while I can or see how this plays out?

"So what are you gonna do now? Knock me out and escape? Or kill me and continue living in constant fear since it's not me anyway?" She asks as if she read my mind and finally turns to face me. She's not expressing any sort of emotion on her face which is making things ten times harder.

Then again, if she was to cry, I'd think she's manipulating me. If she was to get angry I'd think it was some sort of diversion. I realise I can't trust this girl unless she somehow gains my trust.

I shift in my place a bit to check if my gun was still on me in case she was about to pull any stunts and I needed a quick way out.

"You've still got it." She mumbles watching me and crosses her arms under her chest.

"I'm aware of that." I say bluntly and stand up. I slowly make my way towards her to see if she would be any threat as well as see if I'm in any danger at all. Seeing as her face stays blank I proceed to go up to her until we're just a few inches apart.

"How does one gain your trust then? How do I prove to you that I won't cause you any harm?" She asks softly keeping her eyes on mine.

I stand there in silence for another minute biting my lip before I reach behind me. She glances down for a split second before looking back up at me.

"Ah. So you're going to kill me after all. Make it quick." She says calmly and leans back against the dresser to create a bit more space between us.

I roll my eyes and hold the gun out in a way so she would take it by the handle. She looks at me with a frown and confusion all over her gorgeous face.

"No, you'll kill me and this will be classed as your first major kill. Everyone will see you as a hero I bet. No one will mess with you." I explain to her and poke the gun against her side which makes her flinch. Clearly I don't want to die. I'm bluffing. I'm testing her.

Avery swallows hard before taking the gun from me and stares at it for a little while. The old clock above the bed seems to be ticking louder and louder which is making me more and more anxious to see what she'll do next but instead I just close my eyes and wait for the worst.

All of a sudden the gun clicks as if the trigger was pulled but there was no gunshot. I subconsciously feel my own body to see if I was shot and just completely missed the sound. After realising I don't feel any pain I pry one eye open to look at the girl in front of me.

Avery has the gun pointed at her own head with her eyes shut tight in fear of discomfort. Suddenly she opens her eyes and widens them staring at me. She moves the gun away but keeps it in her right hand before touching the side of her head with her left.

I breathe in shakily and open my mouth to say something but she beats me to it.

"So this was just some sick twisted joke wasn't it?" She whispers staring at me still. I don't think she even blinked for a solid two minutes now

"Wha... I...  no... no I know I had bullets in there!" I exclaim and reach out to grab the gun from her but before I'm able to do so she acts quick and suddenly my world goes dark for the second time today.