◇seven◇

When I entered the village, a demon immediately made its appearance. It was swiftly dispatched.

And as if there was a queue, another demon handed his head to me which was followed by another.

Their number continued to increase, yet my irritation didn't dissipate even a bit.

Why do they have to be here?

Why does it have to be this place?

"Huehehe! You—!"

The remaining ones tried to gang up on me after seeing the futility of their attacks but they eventually failed.

My sword will fly and put an end to a demon. It'll stab their hearts, sever their limbs, and decapitate them, ending their artificial lives.

"..Is that all?" I frowned at the small number.

Though it is actually far from ordinary. I hadn't even encountered a pair of demons working together, so how could I treat a pack of demons as normal? But, that number.. it was too small to alleviate my anger.

Of all, why did they have to choose this place as their target? How exasperating.

"Once again, I'm jobless..."

I don't even have a single penny in my pocket as my recent delivery was merely my employer's payment to his debt that I didn't get anything after delivering it.

I could enter any of these houses and fill my pocket, but I don't feel like doing so.

"Haa.." I sigh as I silently took a seat at the three-level staircase by the inn's door. The inn where I had been staying for a year.

After banishing the demon to the afterlife the air had gone completely still. The silence was only interrupted by the sound of a breeze passing as it carries the pungent odor that intertwined with the subtle scent of earth.

It is rather sickening but I strangely don't find myself bothered by it. It seems I've gone used to such.

"Haa..boring.." This world is. To make matters worse, I am now penniless. I needed to make a plan to avoid dying in a pitiful way, but just where do I start..

As I was thinking, I felt someone walking towards the place where I'm in. I paid it no mind, knowing it isn't a demon. And my blade, which had been swinging tirelessly while emanating an ominous black flame, had now returned to its normal state. So being seen by anyone is fine.

"Hello"

But I didn't expect them to talk to me.

The appropriate reaction in the current situation would either be a scream of horror after seeing the corpses or screaming while looking at me in horror.

I looked at the man who carries a sorrowful look as his eyes passed by some of the mutilated bodies of the villagers.

"Are you from here?" I asked despite knowing the answer.

"I'm just a passerby."

"I see." My gaze went to the ground again after I replied and only looked up when the man offered me a job, out of nowhere..

"Would you be interested in working with me?"

"..."

It then hit me.

I am experiencing a hallucination.

I was just thinking about work then an unfamiliar man suddenly appeared and initiated a conversation about work?

It's obviously a hallucination.

I lowered my head again upon realizing this. What a life I'm living.

Well, my previous life wasn't that different. I was incredibly bored in that world as well. One could even say that I'm living better here.

"Are you alright?" The man spoke again. I looked up and met his eyes directly. "We should immediately treat you if you're hurt."

"If anyone needs treatment, it's you." I straight up replied.

Compared to me, the man standing before me seemed fragile and unlikely to live for a long time. It was a shame to see such beautiful eyes be eaten by illness.

"A true pity,"

"I'm fine," He smiled. "Are you injured?"

I felt a sense of gloom as if I'm responsible for his suffering. "No," I replied. By this point, I already knew that he is real and not a mere illusion of my poor pocket.

"Your offer, I'll take it"

I didn't think much about this decision. It's not like I have any favorable options at the present time. But  I do have a concern.

"Thank you."

"...You'll pay me, right?"

Just to be sure, I asked.

"..Of course."

⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤