Chapter 40

Esmera shivered at the firmness in Tauram's voice

Esmera shivered at the firmness in Tauram's voice. He terrified her, this artist who could paint so passionately, who could speak of death so fearlessly, but she couldn't look away from him, from the dark lashes resting on his cheekbones, from his mouth that was set in a line.

Ten years ago, Ruagu had birthed a beast, and today, Ghallia had awakened it.

"I hope it never gets to that point." Esmera held Tauram tighter as if her arms could shield him from any harm even though every glimpse she'd had into Milatanur's magic had taught her how little power she had.

"I am prepared to go the full distance to defeat Ruagu and Ghallia." Tauram set his jaw. "I let them too close before, and look where it got me, my family, and my kingdom."

Esmera rested her hand on his cheek. His still-glistening eyes found hers.

"I will help you drive the knife into their hearts, but I will take it for you if they turn it on you."

"Esmera." Tauram shook his head, his eyes widening. His hands closed around hers. "Don't say that."

Esmera blinked. She hadn't meant for those words to escape her, but she couldn't allow the usurping royal couple to hurt Tauram any more than they already had. She couldn't bear to think of a world that wasn't graced by his annoying smirk, by his impeccable style. She would do whatever was necessary to keep that from happening.

"But I mean it." Esmera's gaze held Tauram's, as firm as her promise.

"No." The prince shook his head again. This time, his terror trickled into his trembling voice. "Varali will help us find the Finnaaz weapon within the next day. With it, we'll destroy Ruagu by Jilhari's deadline. He's a fearsome opponent, no doubt about it, but I won't let him take away anyone else I care about."

Esmera blinked. She wanted to ask Tauram if she had heard right, if he cared about her enough to mention it, but the words stuck in her throat. Instead, she gave him a small smile. 

"You're right. We have a plan Ruagu won't be expecting, and we know his only power is in his prediction of you."

"Exactly." Tauram was smiling now, that smile that made Esmera feel like they had already won the biggest battle they had yet to face. The prince's tears cleared away from his eyes even as they left damp tracks on his cheeks. "This won't be like last time. I have you on my side, and I won't underestimate them."

Esmera wanted to tell Tauram that he was putting too much faith in an orphaned barista who hadn't fully harnessed her auditory powers, but she was too selfish to do or say anything to cause that smile to falter or worse, fall.

Instead she said, "You're ready for this," and touched a kiss to his forehead.

He leaned into her, holding her close for one delicious moment that was too short.

The Whispers of PetalsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara