xiv. blood alcohol concentration

chapter fourteen

OCTAVIA HAD SPENT WEEKS DANCING, ACCEPTING PRAISE, AND KEEPING UP AN ACT

OCTAVIA HAD SPENT WEEKS DANCING, ACCEPTING PRAISE, AND KEEPING UP AN ACT. She thinks in a different world, she could be a professional liar. She has almost everyone fooled. To them, she was the golden girl from district Eleven. She was a star. A Victor. In reality, she was so broken down that she couldn't fall apart anymore. Day after day, week after week, she rots away as she plays her part. She had yet to receive her first encounter. President Snow had been conversing with many of his acquaintances who found Octavia beautiful. Octavia almost believed she was in the clear from the haunting possibilities. That was until she came home from one of Snow's parties honoring the Victor, where she found an Avox holding a piece of paper at her door.. Her heart fell into her stomach when she saw the look in the Avox's eye. She thanks him while she lets herself inside, opening the note. Her breath hitches in her throat as she reads.

SEVEN PM TOMORROW
DO NOT BE LATE
APARTMENT 68

A white rose petal attached to the paper tells her all she needs to know. Tomorrow night, the last bit of innocence she could cling to would be stolen from her. She'd thought before about her first time, would it be sweet? Loving? Exciting? Clearly none of the above in this case. Her fear turns to anger quickly, bubbling from her core to her heart, and then to her head. Octavia lashes out against her beautiful apartment. Picture frames, mirrors, glasses, nothing was safe. The noises echoing through her apartment were so loud that she couldn't hear herself sobbing. She drowned herself out into a bottle from Chaff's many gifts. Whatever it was tasted horrible, but seems to work for the rest older man. She drinks, screams, and shatters. She couldn't hear any of the noise she was making from all of the alcohol settling in her bloodstream. However, it was too loud to be contained to just her apartment. Finnick listens from the hallway, urging his female counterpart to continue to his apartment, that'd he'd be there soon.

The boy doesn't wait for Octavia to let him in, opening the unlocked door. The sight of Octavia on the floor, surrounded by shattered glass and broken spirit. Her head whips up to see who was entering her apartment without permission.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Her voice is shaky but cruel enough that it hurts him. Finnick didn't know that Octavia had been threatened about communicating with him. Octavia would do anything she could to keep him away from her.

"What is it?" He asks gently. She glares into his green eyes. Her breathing picking up pace from anger, maybe even embarrassment.

"Go."

"Octavia, please just-" Finnick pinches the bridge of his nose as he tries to reason with the girl.

"I said go!" Octavia yells, rising from her spot on the floor and shoving him slightly. He doesn't fight her, just grabs hold of her shoulders with both hands preventing her from pushing him more.