iii

XADEN RIORSON

"Teagan," I caught my sister's attention, grabbing her arm as she walked past a hallway and spinning her around so that she fell right into my chest.

"Holy shit!" Teagan blurted out, her eyes wild with danger as she raised her fist to hit me, but I grabbed them just in time, pinning both of her arms at her side. "What the fuck, Xaden?" She cussed at me, anger now in her eyes as she realized it's just her brother bothering her and not some attacker wanting to kill her.

I raised an eyebrow, unamused. "Since when do you cuss at me?"

"I didn't fucking know it was you. And I'm nineteen, I can cuss if I want." My little sister sassed back.

I got the hint that maybe we weren't on great terms when she was mad at me for not introducing her to Sorrengail and then when she was glaring at me the entire time I was talking to the wingleaders about changing the squads.

It was true; I pulled some strings to get Violet and Teagan to be in my wing and under Garrick, my best friend's, order as section leader.

I wanted to keep Violet close as the saying goes "keep your enemies closer" and I also wanted to be able to fuck with her without having to deal with another wingleader or section leader complaining to me about minding my own business — because Violet was my business.

Teagan was also a no brainer and I will kill anyone who suggests otherwise — my baby sister will be a part of my wing. That was the only option for me. I wanted to keep her close and protect her since I haven't seen her or even spoken to her in about four years. Also, I didn't want some asshole ordering her around or treating her unfairly because she was marked or a Riorson. With me in charge, that won't happen.

"Calm down." I growled at her. She couldn't talk to me like that. "Let's go." I moved the shadows — as my signet or power was a shadow wielder — to push her in the back and in the direction of the hallway.

Teagan complied, but still had questions, she always asked too many questions; "Where're we going?"

"To my room." I answered simply. "I told you we would talk tonight — and I want to introduce you to some of my friends, people you can trust." I took a breath, looking sideways at my sister to gauge her reaction, but she wasn't giving anything away, just like I taught her. "Bodhi will be there."

Teagan perked up at the thought of seeing our cousin — her favorite, but also only cousin. "Really? He made it!"

"Yep," I said. "So... you like Liam?"

I may love Liam as a brother — though I'd never say it. But as a true big brother to Teagan, I have to make sure he knows his boundaries and Teagan knows hers — no dating. Ever.

"Sure I like Liam." Teagan responded, naively.

"No. Do you have a crush on him?"

Teagan laughed. "Why does it matter?"

"Cause I'm your fucking big brother and need to set him straight before he gets the wrong idea that you are available." My voice suddenly turned hard and menacing without me even having to tell it too.

"I am available."

"No, you're not. Not until at least five years after graduation, probably more." I informed her.