WAITING ROOM

We started going to the waiting room, once in a while. That was more like a meeting place for the people who bunked classes. That day, there were few seniors too. They were staring at us. 'I think we are trapped. They all look scary,' Lakshmi said. 'Shhh,' Ashna asked her to keep quiet. We walked in to a bench near windows. Some of them were writing their lab records. Others were scrolling through phones. 'Are you from first year?' a girl asked. 'Yes,' we three replied simultaneously. 'Oh, just reached here yesterday only and today you started bunking classes,' one of them said. We suddenly stood from there. 'Hey, I was just kidding. We are not gonna rag you. Please sit,' she said. We sighed deeply together and they all laughed. Then, they asked us our names. Their names were Pretty, Maria, Alice, Anjala, Afna, and Remya respectively. 'Remya? That's my mom's name,' I told her and she smiled. 'Well then, Afna is my sister's name,' Ashna said. 'What a coincidence,' Afna said. 'Too many coincidences spoil the fun,' Alice commented, and we laughed. 'So where are you from?' Afna asked. 'I live around Juhu,' she replied. 'Aha, I live there too,' she replied. 'Oh, now I get it. I've seen you in our college bus. I've been wondering about it,' Ashna said. 'In short, you are neighbours,' Alice said. 'No, not that much. Mine is the last stop. She gets off around half an hour earlier,' Afna said. 'Ask your parents. You both might be related. I've heard from my school friend that all Muslims are related somehow,' Pretty made a comment. 'Are you...?' Ashna started asking, and all of them shouted 'yes.' 'Why won't you wear a hijab then?' Ashna asked. 'Oh come on. What century is this? Do you think all Muslims wear a hijab like you?' Afna asked. 'Mm, that's true indeed,' Ashna replied. 'But my sister is like you. She'll even wear it at home. It's her choice. We both are quite the opposites,' Afna said. We talked for an entire hour. Meanwhile, we heard the bell. We clicked some pictures with them. It was a good memory. Plus, I wanted something to share as my story.

'Thank God, it's recess,' Lakshmi said. 'Oh no, I didn't complete,' Pretty said. 'What are you writing?' I asked. 'Oh, this. This is my record book. Our teacher won't allow us in if this book is incomplete,' she said. 'That's nice, right?' I asked curiously. 'Ah, that's because you are new here. She'll ask us to come later and do the practical individually. Can't even complete it in a day, with three people. How can someone complete it alone later?' she asked. 'Gosh, so scary,' I said. 'Hey, don't worry. Your course doesn't have any tough practicals. You are all saved,' she said. 'Thank God,' I replied.

We headed back to our classroom. On the way back, we met Reshma. 'Isn't she that senior?' Ashna asked. 'Oh yeah,' I replied. Lakshmi wanted to know the story and we explained. She was quite curious to know the rest of the characters. We said we'll let her meet them one by one.

We entered the classroom before the class began. We got to meet some of our classmates. Since the classes just began only, benchmates were considered friends. There were three people in the last bench. Neah, Chrissie and Jiya. Three of them shared the same room in the hostel, and that made them even closer. Additionally, three of them were NRI. Now, moving on to the second last bench, we met Hannah, Divya and Aishwarya. They were also hostlers, sharing the same bunker cot. 'Aren't you greeting us?' a boy from the last bench asked. 'Sure, after this,' Ashna said. 'Hey, we owe you a thanks. If it wasn't you, he'd have shown us to that Father,' I said. He grinned on hearing that, and said it was nothing. He introduced him as Alan. Soon, we heard the bell. Teacher came in suddenly. 'Gosh, I guess she was waiting outside to hear the bell, so that she can instantaneously come in and start the class,' Ashna said. That was true. She started, without waiting. 'Ma'am, there are only a few people here,' a boy said. 'Where are the rest?' she asked. 'No idea,' he replied. 'Then don't talk. You heard the bell, right? So I can start my class. I don't care even if there is only a single child. I'll go on with my class even if the class is empty,' she made her point. 'Strange,' we discussed.