01

I pulled at the hem of my oversized cream colored cardigan, the cool fall air blowing my hair behind my shoulders, as I looked back to my friends and family that I was leaving behind in the next few hours.

My little brother, Tyler ran up to me and wrapped his petite arms loosely around my thighs.

He looked up at me, his piercing blue eyes staring into mine. “Please don’t go, Paige.”

I kneeled down to him, enveloping him into a hug.

“I wish I didn’t have to.” I whispered, holding him close.

“What’s so special about these guys anyway? Why do people have to die for them?” he asked, pulling out of the hug.

“I don’t know. But I’m going to try to win, Tyler.” I say, forcing a smile on my face.

“You can’t try, you have to win.” He says, tears brimming in his eyes.

“I can’t promise it, but I’ll try my very hardest. Just for you.” I press my pointer finger to his nose and he giggles, shaking his head.

“Then you can marry Harry!” he says excitedly, jumping up.

I frowned. To leave everything behind to fight for a boy I never knew seemed unthinkable to me. But thinking about everything I was leaving behind, I couldn’t give it up not to fight at all.

“He’s the least of my worries.” I say, standing up.

I felt strong arms wrap around my waist, pulling me closer to a familiar body, to which I turned around and saw my boyfriend, Mason.

“Hey.” he whispers into my ear, sending chills down my spine.

“Hello.” I whisper back, turning around in his embrace.

A small smile came across my face, and I wrapped my arms around Mason’s neck, resting my head on his shoulder.

“You’re going to do fine. I know it.” He says.

“I don’t think I will. I don’t know what I’m up against.” I reply, looking into his eyes.

“When you win, Harry Styles will be a lucky guy.”

“Don’t say that! Maybe I don’t want to marry him.”

“Then why are you doing this?” he says, playing with a strand of my hair.

“I don’t have a choice.” I wiggle out of his grip.

“What if you didn’t show up?”

“They will hunt me down.” I roll my eyes at his ignorance.

“I believe in you, Paige. But what’s going to happen to us?” he asks.

“I don’t know.”

“I can’t lose you.”

“I can’t do anything about it, Mason. I’m either going to be killed, or I’m going to marry Harry.”

He frowns. “Well, maybe we need to end it here.”

I swallow the large lump forming in my throat, trying to ignore the fact that everything I ever wanted and had is leaving my life.

“Maybe.” I say, a tear falling down my cheek.

“I’m sorry Paige.” He says, walking off to the parking lot where his car was.

I looked up to the capitol building, the wind blowing my hair in every direction. I brought my hands up to my eyes, wiping my eyes from the tears currently forming and the ones that were making their way down my face already.