Chapter 10 : Welcome to The Resistance

At the breakfast table, Zephyr's re-reading the first chapter of Finding Solace– and comparing it to his second edition copy– aloud. Wren and Merrick cuddle in the seat in front of me and I do my best not to stare- but I can't help but wonder how they're so comfortable with PDA. Dempsey and Lo's sister help prepare the plates for us and Dempsey explains why it's only fruits and veggies, "It's the only sustainable option for us."

I wonder aloud, "But aren't you worried the Chatties could destroy the garden?"
Wren smirks, "Look who's catching onto the slang."
Lo's sister, who's name– I learned– is Lee explains, "They don't attack us here. It's like they almost play fair, they don't attack our base and we don't attack theirs."
I wonder, "But couldn't that change?"
Dempsey, "Around here we kinda rely on hope."
Zephyr nods and adds, "'Cause if Arlo can have hope, so can we."

I think to myself, But Arlo is just a character from a book. He was made up and so was his story. He's no more real than the black and white would be on the pages after a week under the rain... but if hope is what these people need to stay alive then I guess there's worse things.
Merrick sweeps Wren's hair behind her ear while admitting, "But our guns keep us safe when hope isn't enough."
Dempsey sits next to Zephyr and begins introducing everyone by name and age to me.

Zephyr, 12. Kenny, 15. Harris, 16. Skye, 16. Harlow and Areli– twins, but everyone calls them Lo and Lee– 16. Saanvi, V for short, 17. Darnell, or D, 17. Finch, 19. Raven, 20 and Lynnea– or Lynn– 22.

Plus Wren, 25. Dempsey and Merrick, both 27– makes fourteen members of the Resistance. That's definitely not enough against a whole generation of modified war bots.

I learn that Dem, Merrick and Wren, all lead the group, in that order. Dempsey gets everyone's attention by clanking his fork against a plate.

"So, there's been a bit of a development since last night." He starts to explain our plan to infiltrate Olsen's operation and Wren and Merrick take turns adding information.

– P.O.V. SWITCH –
{3rd person limited}

Nora sprints down the sidewalk along Main Street, panting from running across town, slowing down as she reaches Funky Fashion and yanks open the door.

"Sir, we just got word from Seth, the Resistance killed the entire team again." Nora closes the door and walks towards Olsen standing behind the counter folding clothing.

Olsen glares at the counter beneath the sweater in his hands and anger swells in his belly boiling up to his throat and his voice cracks as he growls out, "When?"

"Last evening." Nora stops just in front of the counter purposefully, just, outside of his reach.

Olsen shakes his head and goes back to folding the sweater, "Did we pick their carcasses up yet?"

"Yes, sir. About an hour ago, now."

Olsen sets the folded sweater to the side and slides another one in front of him to fold.

"Any Rebel casualties?"

"No. Sir-"
Olsen stops folding, Nora continues not missing a beat, "Only the imbecile."

Olsen's eyes shift upwards to Nora's, as his face stays lowered to the counter, "That's unacceptable, Nora."
"I agree."
"So you're here for an order?"
Nora nods, "I assume you want to go after them, but I wanted to hear it from you."