chapter IX

: ̗̀➛ੈ✩‧₊˚

— daylight !chapter nine ; call her!

daylight !
chapter nine ; call her!

WE SAT IN THE USUAL CAVE, except instead of reciting poetry, we smoked pipes

WE SAT IN THE USUAL CAVE, except instead of reciting poetry, we smoked pipes. Well, at least most of us were. I chose not too. Partly because I really favoured my healthy lungs, and partly because they reminded me of my dad.

As Pitts coughed, some of us laughed. Through the entire time we've been here, he's the one who's coughed the most because of the pipes.

"Attaboy, Pittsie, inhale deeply," Charlie says to Pitts as he coughed again.

"My dad collects a lot of pipes," Meeks says.

"Really? Mine's got 30," Charlie says.

"Your parents collect pipes?" Pitts asks with a hoarse voice. "Oh, that's really interesting." We laugh again as his voice cracks.

Charlie notices Knox not smoking. "Come on, Knox, join in," he urges.

"Yeah, Knox. We're from the government. We're here to help," Cameron says.

"What's wrong?"

"It's Chris." We all realise eventually, and we look around saying those two words in a knowingly tone.

Pittsie pulls out the poster of a nude woman and waves it in front of Knox with a laugh. "Here's a picture of Chris for you."

"Put that in your pipe and smoke it," Meeks comments.

I roll my eyes and grab the poster, folding it up and chucking it behind me.

Knox points at Pitts. "That's not funny," he says.

Charlie whistles at the boys to stop as Renee clicks at them all. "Knock it off," they both scold.

"Smoke you pipes," Charlie says.

"Okay," they all collectively whisper.

I sigh, resting my chin in the palm of my hand. "You know, I think it's really sweet that you're already so lovesick because of her," I say to Knox. "It shows you care. Not many men do."