10. More Than I Deserve

Mira

I wallowed in the bath until the water got too cold. When I finally climbed out, wrinkled as a raisin, I felt calm and capable again. I dug around in my backpack for clean clothes, dressed, and combed out my hair. Taking a deep breath, I tugged on my boots - my precious red knee-highs - and went looking for the others.

I had some people to thank.

Again.

As I walked down the hall, I caught sight of Rome's broad back as he entered a different bedroom and I picked up the pace.

"Hey," I called as his door started to close. "Are you busy?"

He swiveled and poked his head around the jamb, his eyes sweeping over me before he smiled.

"Nah. Come on in." He held the door open. I walked in and the door swung shut behind me. "I scoped the building out and found a gym on the first floor. I came back up to grab my gear. Want to join me?"

He looked at me, his face inviting, so I nodded.

"Yeah, sure. Thanks." I moistened my lips before I continued. "Uh, and thank you for saving me a second time."

I reached out, intending to touch his arm, but he turned away and my hand was left hanging in the air between us.

"Kerry's the one who paid for you and got you out." He shrugged one big shoulder. "Thank him. All I did was wait in the car."

I jerked back. If he'd punched me, it would have hurt less.

You're such an idiot! Of course he doesn't care what happens to you. My chest felt heavy, pressure crushing my breastbone. No one has ever cared. Why did you think he'd be any different?

Mortified, I spun away.

Hope taunts you and you fall for it every time, I scolded myself. Blinded by tears, I fumbled for the door knob. You are worth nothing because you are nothing. Learn the lesson already!

"Mira?"

Finally getting the wretched door open, I fled.

#

Kerry

The elevator door opened and I went to step out only for Mira to barge into me, nearly knocking both of us down.

"Whoa!" I steadied myself with a hand to the wall. "What's going on?"

Her eyes were wild and wet and she was whimpering softly, but didn't seem to know it.

What in the world happened? I was gone ten minutes!

"Thank you for saving me, Kerry." Her voice was high. "That's twice I owe you. If you ever need something I can provide, I'm happy to return the favor."

She tried to brush past me into the elevator, and I saw she had her backpack, the one we'd bought her after we'd found her. Confused but getting a bad feeling in my gut, I blocked her path and the elevator door pinged as it tried to close, sensed us, and reopened. I put my hand on it to hold it still.

"You really leaving us?" I was careful to keep my voice neutral.

"Yeah. Good luck with the mission and all. I know you'll get Gemma back. I know it."

"What's wrong, Boots?"

Scowling, I watched her close her eyes, clench her fingers into tight fists, and draw in a shuddering breath.