52. No More Hiding

Author's note: Only one more chapter in this book... 😭

#

Chessie

When Ray demanded to know everything, Chance opened his mouth and looked like he was about to unload all our secrets.

What is this imbecile doing?!

Realizing I had to stop him, I grabbed his elbow and yanked on his arm to get his attention. He looked down at me and dared to seem confused.

"We don't know him," I hissed.

"Oh, come on," Spin whined. "This is Ray Chapman!"

"No, she's right to be suspicious," Ray said with a nod. "Especially if you're in the middle of a mission that's already gone south."

"Excuse us for a moment, Ray," Chance said. "Chessie, let's go outside for a minute, please."

After I nodded, he put his hand in the small of my back and gently pushed me toward the door. I didn't automatically shrug off his hand, which surprised me. I heard footsteps behind us and saw Anne leading Spin from the room, too.

I don't think she trusts this guy, either.

When we made it to the parking lot, we stood in the shelter of our SUV and formed a circle.

"I tried to see inside him, but he's either wearing a ward or grace or it's his armor," I started off. "All we know is his name and that he has a protection bracelet. To be honest, I'm not even sure he's a neph."

"When Spin called him Ray Chapman, he didn't deny it," Chance said with a shrug, "and he said he knew a lot of things were stirring the Dark World."

"That could be because he's part of the Dark World," I retorted.

"If he was something Diabolical, I would have smelled it. Plus, Monkey would have gotten sick in the car from being physically close to him." Spin crossed his arms over his chest and glared at me.

I think he's still mad at me for interrupting his kiss.

"There's a lot of gray room between neph and Diabolical," I reminded him. "He could be working for anyone."

"He did try to fight the divs, and he knows there's a Sanctuary in Madagascar. We should call Hank and have him check if Ray's story is true," Chance told Spin, then turned to me. "I'm not disagreeing with your caution, honey, just trying to see all sides here."

"I'll text Hank," Spin offered.

"All I'm saying is that we need to be careful in what information we share. We should also keep our eye on him." I looked at Anne and saw she was nodding. "Anne thinks so, too."

Spin's head shot up from his phone and his eyes went right to Anne.

"Did you sense something about him, sugar?"

I rolled my eyes. His soft murmur was the complete opposite of the way he'd barked at me. Chance nudged me gently with his elbow, and I glanced up to see him smirking.

"Whipped," he mouthed.

I ducked my head to hide my grin.

Anne started wiggling her finger in the air. I knew it wasn't sign language, so what was she doing?

"What is she doing?" Chance asked my question.

"Here, sugar. Type it out, please." Spin handed his phone to Anne, then looked at us. "She's been using air writing, which is usually fine, but I'm too drained right now. I need to crash soon."