Chapter 25 - Like an Angel

Finally, Caden rises from his office desk. He's been locked in emergency security meetings with Jaxon and Luke for the last hour.  Caden looks at Luke, who has assumed the Delta role, albeit only temporarily.  Eventually new Delta trials will need to be held, to find the best wolf to replace Ava.  Nobody could ever replace Ava, but that is the way of wolves, time cannot be wasted mourning for long, the pack needs to be protected. Caden gives Luke a pat on the back as he wearily exits his office. He has been avoiding this moment, but it's time to see Ava.

Firstly, the Alpha needs to see Ryan's family, to give them his condolences. He walks the path towards Ryan's family home, Jaxon a step behind him. The Alpha looks up at the sky, the giant red moon is in place, one night away from being a full moon. Instead of a ball full of celebration, tomorrow night they will be mourning two Mystic Fall wolves, Ryan and Ava. Ryan may have been shirking his duties on border patrol, but he didn't deserve to die. Ryan's body is lying in wake in his family's lounge room. Ryan's mother is clutching Ryan's hand sobbing quietly, while her mate stands behind her, hands resting on her shoulders trying to give her strength. They bow respectfully to the Alpha as he enters their home. He has brief words with them, pressing his cheeks to them, and giving them words of encouragement. Ryan, along with Ava, will be cremated before the sun sets tomorrow, as werewolf tradition dictates. Traditionally werewolves were buried, with a tree planted on top of the grave, to mark the spot as special. Then graves started being discovered dug up and bodies missing. The CBC were the culprits, wanting the bodies for further examination. This led to wolves being cremated before the sun sets the following day, to ensure the bodies could not be stolen.

The pack function room looks very different to when they held Ava's 18th birthday here. No pink glitter, balloons or cocktails, but still very beautiful. Flowers of all descriptions line the walls. Every neighbouring pack has sent their condolences along with huge bouquets of flowers and sympathy wreaths. The largest arriving from Silver Moon, made all with red and white roses from Luna Sophie's Garden. Looking at the wreath, packed with roses, shaped into a large heart, so big it has to be placed on a custom timber tripod stand. The satin ribbon banner stretched across the wreath reads "With deepest sympathy from Silver Moon". Caden knows Luna Sophie and Lily made this with their own hands, he can even detect Lily's scent on the wreath.

His heart clenches when he thinks of Lily. He hasn't even managed to call her yet, but he knows news has spread far and wide of Ava's death. It has shaken the werewolf community. If someone like the infamous Delta Ava can die at the hands of the CBC, then nobody is safe. The blood moon ball has been cancelled; no Alpha willing to risk their packs safety during these uncertain times. All wolves have been called to come back to their packs immediately, every pack has been placed on the highest security alert. Earlier today Caden had been making plans with Lily, to mark and claim her in front of the entire werewolf community. Lily had looked so happy at the prospect of officially becoming his luna. Although it was only hours ago, it now feels like another lifetime. Everything can change in an instant.

Approaching the beautiful hand-crafted timber casket, which is adorned with traditional Celtic knotwork and wolf carvings, similar to the design of the Luna medal Caden had gifted Lily earlier. Ava lies there looking like an Angel. Her body has been washed in rose water and cleaned meticulously. Her hair has been washed, brushed and styled so it is left loose and long, cascading across her shoulders. A crown of wildflowers adorns her head, they remind Caden of the wildflowers he gifted her on her 18th birthday. She is wearing a long white flowing dress of the finest muslin, the type of dress that is worn for a claiming ceremony. Her hands are clasped in front of her chest holding a small bouquet of more wildflowers and a silk scarf with the Mystic Falls Crest hand embroidered on it. She has a small amount of make-up on, just enough to bring out her beautiful features, even her fingernails have been painted a shimmering silvery white, the colour of the moon. Caden can see that Ava has been prepared with the utmost love and respect, and instinctively knows the one wolf that is responsible for this. He casts his eye towards Christie, who is directing the pack members on where to place all the arriving flowers. She is still covered in dirt and blood, she hasn't even bothered to shower or change since bringing Ava's body back to the pack.