Ten: As if Vampires aren't Bad Enough

"Charlotte, get up," Bella called, standing in my doorway. I'd been in a sort of funk, staying curled up in a ball in my bed since the run in with that vampire, and just the realisation of the existence of vampire's. I'd barely moved, only going to the toilet  and back. I didn't respond to Bella, just burrowing deeper into my nest.

"We're going to see Jake."

"What if Jake's a vampire?"

"You're being ridiculous, get up." I don't know what convinced me to get out of bed, because it definitely wasn't Bella's nagging, but some kind of universal call forced me out of my pit. I dragged myself to the bathroom, making sure to have a thorough shower, and brushing my teeth so hard that they bled. I pulled my hair back into two braids, tying them off with some plain white hair ties. I pulled on my usual navy jeans, scruffy white trainers, and a white long sleeve t shirt. 

I stumbled down the stairs, taking a seat on the bottom step as I waited for Bella. 

"What are you doing? Come on," Bella snapped, passing me on the stairs. Jeez, who pissed in her cereal? Still, I followed her out to the truck, settling into the passenger's side. We left the drive without a word, Bella's knuckles holding so tight on to the steering wheel that they were white. 

"What's up?" I asked, picking at my fingers.

"Jake visited last night."

"Oh." Why had he visited Bella? Why hadn't he seen me? I suppose though, Bella had spent more time with him, and put more effort into talking to him. I'd not contacted him at all since he went ghost mode. Again, we lapsed into silence, as I pondered over Jacob's visit. Has Bella realised what's wrong with him?

We pulled up outside of Jake's house, parking harshly. Bella stormed out of the truck, running up to the front door and knocking aggressively. I closely followed, offering a small apology to Billy when he opened the door.

"Bella? Charlotte?" Billy asked, looking thoroughly horrified. Yeah, he probably hadn't expected to be ambushed by two teenage girls this early in the morning. 

"I need to see him."

"He's not in."

"I'm sorry, but I really need to see him," Bella explained, pushing past the older man. She wandered deeper into the house, ignoring Billy's protests. I awkwardly stood at the front door, waiting for my sister to come back. And she did, a few minutes later, but with a much more furious expression on her face. 

"Come on!" she snapped, grabbing my wrist and tugging me towards the forest behind Jacob's house. It was only then that I noticed the four very shirtless men appearing out of the tree line. I recognised two of them - Sam Uley, and Embry - but the others, I didn't. I trailed behind Bella as she stormed up to the men,

"What did you do to him?!" I'd never seen Bella like this, she was screaming and pushing at Sam, fury fuelling her actions. I didn't take part, hanging back slightly. Embry caught my eye, and I did offer him a small, but apologetic, smile. 

"Easy," Sam warned, putting his hands out to separate himself and Bella.

"What did we do? What did he do? What'd he tell you?" one of the mystery men chirped up, practically snarling at Bella. God, he was kinda pretty, even whilst he growled at my sister.

Sam, again, tried to intervene, putting his hands in between the duo, but pretty boy pushed against him, seemingly struggling under Sam's stronger grip. 

"Nothing! Because he's scared of you!" She was simply met with laughs. I flinched, watching as Bella raised her hand and slapped pretty boy. What was she thinking?!

"Bella," I snapped, yanking at her arm.

"Girls! Get back!" Sam ordered, but I couldn't. I watched as pretty boy's chest heaved, and his body shook, heat radiating off of him. He snarled and panted, his whole body struggling. He seemed to be completely losing control over himself.

I could feel Bella's presence leaving me, taking steps away, but I? I could not move.

"Lottie!" Embry snapped, sticking his arm out and pulling me against him. It was just in time really. I watched as pretty boy turned into a beast, a grey wolf taking over where he had just been standing. 

I'd seen that wolf before. In the clearing. 

It turned it's head towards me, still growling and snarling. I shrunk into Embry's side, but my gaze rose and I made eye contact with the beast. And god, what pretty eyes it had. I was mesmerised, I couldn't look away from this wolf, a future with this man playing out in my head. 

I only stopped staring when a russet beast barrelled into my grey wolf. My wolf? What?

The two wolves went at each other, snarling and biting, scratching and growling. My heart ached for the grey wolf, watching as it went tumbling into the forest, a blur of grey and red.

"You two, take the girls to Emily's. Be careful with her," Sam ordered, gesturing to myself and Bella. Embry dragged me along, his hand holding my wrist carefully, as if he was scared of me breaking. He led me to Bella's truck, pushing me towards the passenger seat. Bella was also put next to me, pushed by the other mystery man. Embry took the drivers seat, and the other boy sat in the back of the truck.

Both me and Bella were in a daze,  neither of us speaking as we set off, driving through areas of La Push that neither me or Bella had seen.