Friday Night Lights

Continued
January 11th; 2026
Taylor Swift's Point of View
The Chiefs are playing the Los Angeles Chargers today in Kansas City. It's the fourth quarter and we're down by four points. I hate all this stupid sports talk but I'm all in now. I'm with Travis so I have to know everything. I'm still wondering if he'll make a wife out of me one day. We've only been together for two years but we have a child together so I feel like that's a pretty big leap in a relationship.
Little Viola is wearing a fluffy Kansas City Chiefs jacket and she has her knitted hat on still. There's something about dressing her up that makes my heart melt. She just looks adorable in everything. Except when Travis tries to dress her.

The clock counts down on the game while the Chiefs try to score. It's 17 to 21 and the Los Angeles Chargers are winning. Kansas has the ball but there are only 17 seconds left and they're at the 20-yard line. "Come on Travis," I murmur. The ball is given to Patrick and Travis runs down the field to the endzone. He's open and Patrick makes the pass to him. The ball is a little far up so Travis jumps up to get it. He successfully catches it but still gets tackled by the defense. He crashes down and the crowd goes wild.

The touchdown is good! Kansas City wins!

Every Chiefs fan in the stadium stands up and goes crazy. "Let's go! Your daddy did that!" I stand up with Viola and cheer. Everyone is hugging and smiling but before I can do any of that I have to do my heart hands with Travis. It's tradition.

Viola and I smiled and formed a heart with our hands but my heart stopped. I was blessed with ignorance for the last 30 seconds. I wasn't prepared for what I saw when I looked down at him.

"Is Trav okay?" Donna asks. I ignore her words as I continue to look down. Fear shivered down my spine. He was still on the ground. Why isn't he getting up?

My body went into fight or flight mode and chose fight. I shoved Viola in Donna's arms, knowing I had to go. Adrenaline flooded my body and I took off. Travis gave me a tour of the stadium once so I know how to get to the locker rooms and field. I ran through crowds of people, not apologizing for when I bumped into them. I never ran out of breath. I ran past security guards, swung open doors, and sprinted onto the field. I swear I broke some world records. There Travis was. I saw a medical team and he was still on the ground. I sprinted over to him and sat next to his head.

"Travis, it's me." I take his hand so he knows I'm there. Travis is clenching his jaw, trying to hold the pain in. The blood that was pouring from his leg was downright sinful. I let go of his hand and covered my mouth when I saw it. It was horrid and felt like a crime scene. I'm no doctor but a bone should be inside a human.
I got in the ambulance with them, holding his hand. I didn't think about any of the stuff I left. My purse, phone, or anything. I was just worried about Travis. He was in so much pain that he couldn't speak and it killed me.

Travis was transported to the nearest trauma center for them to initiate appropriate treatments. They gave him antibiotics to minimize the risk of infection, bandaged the wound, and evaluated the fracture with X-rays. After a thorough examination was completed and they immobilized the fracture he was taken to the operating room. I was told they would be cleaning the wound and removing damaged tissue. To end it all they would be realigning the bones. Right now he's in the OR and I'm waiting for them to finish the procedure. It was so all goddamn terrifying. I had no idea what was going on. I sat alone in a private room with my thoughts and only my thoughts to drive me crazy. I had nothing else to do but lose my mind.

"Ma'am?" I look back and it's one of Travis's doctors. I've seen him around but never formally met him. "Do you mind if we walk in private?"

I nod my head and the chair shrieks as I push it from behind me. We walk into a different room and we both sit down. "I'm Doctor Burton and I specialize in sports medicine. I've been working on Travis's case. He has agreed that I can release medical information to Taylor A. Swift in an emergency."