Betrayal

When she woke up in the morning, the first thing on her mind was the magazine article. Her stomach tightened again, and she hoped it was the first and last time she'd read anything about herself in magazines, newspapers, or anywhere. She still had some of her clothes at Max's, so she took a hot shower and changed. Max was taking care of some work calls and she was waiting for him in the garden. She just sat in the armchair, holding her mobile in her hand. She fought the temptation to watch the showbiz news. She was afraid she'd find the article she'd read in the magazine yesterday. Finally, she resisted and looked. What she found, however, was even worse than yesterday. Her head was spinning and the hand she was holding her cell phone in was shaking. It would have been better if they had just insulted and humiliated her than what they have done now. -One is not enough for her?- was the title of the article and under it pictures of her and Mark from the evening in the pub. They were walking down the street, laughing, looking at each other and holding each other by the waist. There was a lump in her throat, she could barely swallow. Tears welled up in her eyes. Suddenly Max sat down next to her. She hadn't even noticed him when he came in. He looked right at her mobil, at the picture of her and Mark holding each other's waists and laughing.

''What the hell was that supposed to mean?'' He asked, taking the phone out of her hands.

He looked at all the photos and frowned. He stood up and threw the phone far away on the grass out of anger.

''What's that supposed to mean?'' He asked again angrily.

''Is there something between you two? Did you sleep with him?''

'' No of course not. We just got drunk'', that's all.

''Got drunk and slept together.''

'' No, Max, nothing happened. Please trust me. You know how journalists are.''

'' You won't see him again.''

She didn't know what to say to him, she had never seen him so angry before.

''You're mine. He said coldy.

I'm yours, only yours.'' she said, standing up and wanting to hug him.

He grabbed her arms and stopped her.

'' Did you understand what I said? You're not meeting him again and you're not going near that house.''

He looked so cold, if they hadn't had all those wonderful moments together, she would have been afraid of him.

''I'm gonna take my stuff and I'm never going back to that house. I'm not.''

'' I don't give a damn about your stuff.  I'll buy you everything you need. ''

''Max, but it's all I have.''

'' I said no! I'm not gonna let you go in there, to see him.''

'' Max, Max, please.'' She said carefully so as not to anger him further.

''I have to get my stuff and end this. I'll go right now. I'll go into the room, get my bags and leave. And that will be the end of it. He won't even be home, he's never home at a time like this.''  she said, staring at him with her big eyes.

Very reluctantly he agreed on the condition, that he would go with her. Max was waiting for her by his black sports car. She walked into her room and Mark was lying on her bed.

'' What are you doing here? ''

''Waiting for you.'' he said calmly

She picked up her suitcases and wanted to leave. Mark got out of bed and stopped her.

'' If you think I'm going to let you leave, you're wrong. '' he had a mad look in his eyes

She didn't say anything to him, she walked out of her room and Mark followed her.