2: Sparks

~2 Year Prior~

Rosita was working behind the counter at the Grab 'N Go. She didn't like working there but she needed money. Well, she wanted money and her mom told her to go and get a job so that's what she did.

Rosita normally hung out at the Grab 'N Go with her boyfriend, Vance, but now she works there, and he's right across from her on the other side of the store playing pinball.

Whenever he didn't have quarters, she'd take some out of the register and give them to him. Her boss caught her once and said if she did it again, she'd be fired. She did it again but wasn't caught.

Vance loved Rosita but never publicly showed it unless he was jealous because another guy was making moves on her.

The paperboy came by to drop off some newspapers.

"Isn't this Eric's job?" Rosita asked, taking the newspapers from the kid.

"Yeah, but he's sick," Rosita nodded and put the papers on the ground in a box to change out later. The boy stuck his hand out. "I'm Cooper." "Rosita." She shook the boy's hand. Cooper left, and Rosita cut the string off the papers that were holding them together and threw it in the trash. She leaned back on the wall and watched Vance play pinball from across the store.

God, he's so handsome. Rosita thought.

It was hard to believe that a boy like Vance liked a girl like Rosita. It was a surprise to both of them.

Vance didn't want to accept his feelings, and Rosita was confused with them. Vance would slightly hint he liked her, and when she questioned, he'd deny it.

It was more of a surprise when Vance said the first 'I love you.'

Rosita's thoughts were broken by a customer. "Sorry," She said, walking to the counter. "Oh! Hey, Finney!" Rosita smiled.

"Hey, Rosita! I didn't know you worked today?" "Daniel got fired, so I took his shifts. I need the money." Rosita said, putting a hand on her stomach. Finney went to hand her money. "No. It's fine, Finney. It's on me." Rosita slid the items back to Finney. "No, I'm payin-" "Finney. It's fine." Finney nodded and grabbed one of his snacks and leaned against the counter with his back turned to Rosita.

Two boys started fighting behind some shelves. Rosita and Finney noticed and watched from a distance.

One of the boys threw the other into the pinball machine Vance was playing. He snapped and started to fight the two boys. Rosita's boss came out of the back.

"Rosita! What are you doing!? Call the cops!" Her boss yelled. Rosita didn't want to call the cops on Vance. He'd been in trouble before, and she wanted to protect him. "No. Shelia, don't!" Her boss reached for the phone and called the cops. Rosita hanged up. "Why would you do that!?" Her boss asked madly. "No cops." Rosita said, but her boss didn't listen.

After a while, the cops came and took Vance. Rosita wanted to help, but she couldn't. She didn't know how.

She also didn't know that this would be the last time she'd ever see the love of her life for a long time.

My heart is yours
It's you that I hold on to
Yeah, that's what I do