13: Brother 2/2

Finney woke Rosita up out of her sleep. She thought something terrible was going to happen or already has happened.

"I'm gonna get us out of here." Finney told Rosita.

"No, that's dangerous." She whispered. "I know, but it'll be okay. He's sleeping. I can get by." Rosita didn't like Finney's idea. "I'm coming with you." Rosita whispered. "No, you can't. You're hurt. I'll go get help but you have to stay here." "I can't do that. I'm not letting you do that." "Trust me, Rosita. It'll be okay." Rosita was nervous because she remembered the last escape. "Okay." Finney nodded. "I'll be careful. I promise." Rosita hugged Finney. "You better be." She whispered.

Finney walked to the door, repeating a combination of numbers.

He turned around and looked at Rosita. She nodded, and he walked up the stairs.

Rosita was scared for Finney. She knew what would happen if he was caught. She knew the game.

She sat up and turned her attention to the phone. Rosita got off the bed and held onto the wall.

She put the phone to her ear and messed with it. There was nothing. There was no one.

Rosita laid back down and stared at the open door.

The sound of a dog barking filled the upstairs. As did footsteps. He escaped. Rosita thought. He did it. She smiled, and then it hit her. The Grabber wasn't home either. He chased after Finney.

She crawled out of the bed and walked as balanced as she could. She climbed up the stairs before she heard footsteps again.

She grabbed the bottom of the basement door and cracked it. She laid on the stairs peering out of the crack of the door. Someone else was home. Rosita knew he was back.

He opened the cracked door and saw Rosita laying there. The Grabber had Finney over his shoulder. Rosita looked at him and realized Finney's escape plan had failed.

The Grabber kicked Rosita in the face with the bottom of his boot. She fell down the stairs. Her nose was bleeding and felt broken.

The Grabber got a hold of a chunk of her hair and dragged her into the basement fully.

He threw Finney on the bed and let go of Rosita's hair, leaving her on the floor.

"Hey, what was all that noise I heard?" Someone asked. "Samson was barking at something." The Grabber replied. "It's nothing. Go back to bed, Max." He slammed the door shut.

Rosita crawled over to Finney. She sat on the floor and was halfway on the mattress. "Hey." She said softly. "Finney." She pushed the hair out of his face. "Finn." He wasn't waking up.

Rosita walked over to the phone one last time and tried it. Nothing. No one.

She walked back over to Finney and sat on the floor. She wasn't in much pain anymore. It would still hit her here and there.

~Day four in the basement~

Rosita didn't realize Finney woke up until she heard him speak.

"Son of a bitch." He said. She turned around. He had his hand up and dry blood under his nose. He turned around and looked at the phone. "No." He said.

"What?" Rosita question. "Fuck you." He said. "What are you talking about?" "You don't hear it?" "Hear what?" "The phone." "Finney that phone doesn't work. It doesn't ring. Nothing's there. Nobody's there." Rosita said.

Finney answered the phone, upset. "What?" He said. "You gonna say something?" "Finney, who are you talking to?" Rosita was worried about Finney and his imaginary phone calls. "Do you even know who you are?" He asked. "I'm Finney Blake." He said. Finney went quiet. "This is what?" "Finney, who are you talking to?" Rosita asked again. "Holy shit." Finney exclaimed. "You're Vance Hopper."

Rosita was in disbelief at who Finney was supposedly talking to. "I remember you. You used to scare me." Was Finney really talking to Vance? "Finney, this isn't funny anymore." Rosita said like she was going to cry. "I've tried everything." He said into the phone. "What did you do?" Finney asked. "What did you do?" He asked again. "Finney." Rosita said. "No, no, no, no, I'm... I'm listening."

Finney continued his call, and it made Rosita shed a few tears. He stood up. "Thank you." Finney said. "For helping me."

Finney dropped the phone and covered his ears. He fell against the wall, and Rosita went over to him. "Finney. Hey." She said.

He calmed down and looked down the hall, which led into the other room.

Finney was breaking the wall with the lid to the toilet tank. Rosita kept messing with the phone.

Part of her had hoped someone was there, and the other part still believed no one was there.

The sound of the wall breaking stopped. Rosita looked down the hall and saw the broken wall.

A sudden sharp pain on her side makes her almost fall to the ground.

She laid on the bed facing the phone. Hoping she'd hear the ring herself.

Finney came from around the corner and picked up the phone. Rosita sat up, wondering who was supposedly there now. "What?" Finney answered. "Robin?"

The mention of her little brother put her in disbelief once more. Is Robin really there? "That I needed to see Texas Chainsaw Massacre?" Finney said, making Rosita smile.

That's something her little brother would one hundred percent say.

She began to believe Robin was truly there.

"That someday I have to stand up for myself." Finney said. "I'm not a fighter like you, Robin. You couldn't even take him." Finney's conversation made Rosita smile. "The phone?" Finney asked. He went quiet for a moment. "Then what?" Rosita listened closely, trying to see if she could hear Robin's voice. "Now?"

Finney got into a fighting stance. One like Robin would do. Finney then began to do her brothers movements when fighting. Rosita mouthed the words he'd always say when explaining it to her.

'Take a fast step back. Step forward, step back, and swing.' His voice and words kept replaying in her mind.

"Will I still be able to talk with you?" Finney asked. "I miss you, Robin." Rosita smiled at him. "Bye, Robin." Rosita smiled faded.

She began to wish she could hear the phone ring.

She wished she could hear who was there.

She wished she had believed Finney.

Brother, let me be your shelter
Never leave you all alone
I can be the one you call
When you're low