十二 summer island (day)

It was the first day you had met Sora and now night was falling.

You sat outside watching the sea, the waves as the moon reflected off of them.

There was only one shower, and one main room on the small boat.

Sora had showered first.

Then you did after.

When you were done he was laying on top of your bed. He had already passed out. His breathing was even. You watched his chest rise and fall, his lips slightly parted. 

He looked peaceful.

You quickly changed into pajamas and turned off the light. You hadn't realized how exhausted you really were from the encounter with the marines. You lay on the couch as you let out a heavy sigh, just staring at the ceiling.

You had just shut your eyes to relax when you heard Sora's voice speak into the darkness.

"Shiina?" his voice was raspy from having been asleep.

It was calm and despite having just met him, it gave you a strange sense of comfort. It somehow felt familiar.

"Hm?" you hummed in response.

There was a moment of silence before he finally said,

"Am I a pirate now?"

You almost laughed.

What?

He asked it so seriously.

"If you want to be, sure." You knew he could hear the amusement in your voice.

"Can I be your first subordinate? Like... ah what is it... your first-mate."

This kid.

You felt a stupid grin form on your face as you stared at the ceiling in the dark.

"Are you saying I would be your captain?"

The thought made you feel strange.

You awaited his response for a moment.

"Yes."

You could hear the smile form on his face.

"Captain Shiina."

Those words earned a laugh from you.

"If you're my first-mate you better just be calling me Shiina. No formalities."

"Aye-aye Shiina."

You heard a chuckle escape him as he spoke.

Then there was silence in the dark cabin. It was a very comfortable silence. You had known you were called a 'pirate', since you already had a bounty.

But having a crewmate, even if one, was different. It felt like a bigger deal. Like you were suddenly a part of a much different world.

Sora's voice interrupted your thoughts,

"A two person crew."

"Huh...?"

"You and I are."

You finally processed his words.

That same stupid grin on my face returned as you spoke,

"Indeed we are. A two person crew."

"SHIINAAAAAAAAAAA!"