Obligatory Date

"Hearts are made to be broken." - Oscar Wilde 『De Profundis』

================================================================================

心は壊れるために作られています。 - オスカーワイルド『デ・プロファンディス』

______________

"What am I going to do with him..."

-

Saturday - 9:24 AM.

It was a brand new day. The events from the previous day left my heart twisted with uncertainty. It's best not to overthink and remain calm. I've come to a new conclusion that Ryuuen actively has a crush on me. It's strange beyond the reason of homosexuality. Not that I thought I could swing that way. Everything has been quite a blur. My inexperience in romance is one of my vulnerabilities, and Ryuuen plans to exploit it. He did this by setting up a time we'd meet up. Although, he never mentioned where. Well, I don't think I was going anyway. I don't know if I can reciprocate Ryuuen's feelings either. It was all strange. I don't know if I like Ryuuen back. I kissed him at the convenience store. If I kissed Ryuuen on the cheek, does that mean we're dating already? No, Ryuuen kissed me first. Is this a step toward engagement? Marriage? How significant is a kiss? Or rather, a proper kiss. Something I noticed with Ryuuen is his affection. Despite being unbearably teasing, he hasn't directly confessed his feelings. At least not yet. It's preferable to avoid wild imagination. I don't understand why I would think of that. Despite these thoughts of denial, I felt curious about Ryuuen's reason for love. I doubt Ryuuen will answer the question directly. On second thought, he would. I should take my mind off of this. A shower would be nice.

I pulled the blanket off my body to sit up. As I swung my legs off the edge of the bed, I received a phone call.

Who would be calling me now? It must be a joke.

I entered the call while walking into the bathroom. I turn the lever of the shower to preheat the water. I press the phone against my ear before answering.

( Hello? )

( Aha. Good morning, Ayanokouji. )

Of course, Ryuuen called me. He seems to pop up whenever I try to forget about him.

( Hm? Ayanokouji, is that water in the background? )

( Oh, yeah. I was going to shower. )

( Kuku. I just so happen to be doing the same. Wouldn't it be more efficient if we showered together? )

( Pardon?... )

Isn't that harassment? The thought of Ryuuen and I occupying the same space while naked made me shudder. I would do almost anything to escape that scenario.

( I'm hanging up. )

( Hm, not yet. I called for a reason besides flirting. )

That wasn't flirting. Well, not that I think it was. It was blatantly uncomfortable.

( Make it quick. )

( So about that date, )

'I'm not going on a date with you' is what I wanted to say. Unfortunately, I am a patient and open-minded student. I'll decline indirectly.

( I apologize, but I'm not interested in dating. )

I heard a low chuckle from the other side of the phone. That's not a good sign.

( If that's the case, why did you kiss me yesterday? )

Good question. I don't know. Ryuuen wouldn't allow me to leave if I didn't. I can't think of another reason why.