Chapter 20: Wild Rebellion

"Absolutely not."

Candice stared at her mom as if she'd just suddenly announced she was running for president. "But it's just Faith's house. I go over there all of the time."

Her mom shrugged her shoulders as she continued filling up their dishwasher. "Yes you do, however before today, you've never given me any reason to worry about you and boys. Don't you think it's quite a coincidence that the very night I met your boyfriend, you told me you and him were going to a party at Faith's? And you're going to stay the night? Not happening. Maybe next weekend."

Candice couldn't remember a time she had ever felt even an inkling of teenage rebellion, but right now she found herself struggling. "Nothing is going to happen."

"Candice," her mom sighed, turning around to face her and leaning back on the counter. "I've just met the boy today. I need a little bit of time to acclimate. He seems like a nice enough boy, but it's just not going to happen. Now go tell him good night and walk him to the door."

"This is ridiculous!"

Her mom's gaze narrowed, and she pointed a threatening finger at Candice. "Now is not the time for you to suddenly develop an attitude, young lady. I said no."

Completely frustrated and at a loss, Candice turned on her heels and stomped out of the kitchen in search of Cooper. He hadn't moved from his seat on their couch, right next to her currently entertained sister. "She told you no, didn't she?"

A very small part of her wanted to stick out her tongue in annoyance, but instead, she clenched her jaw until she'd regained her composure and ignored her sister completely as she addressed Cooper. "Thanks so much for coming over for dinner. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be going to Faith's tonight, but maybe I'll see you tomorrow."

Cooper didn't seem to match her disappointment regarding the change and instead looked to be enjoying himself just as much as her sister. With an easy smile, he stood up and moved towards her. "No problem. I can call you and maybe we can go see a movie or something this weekend. Thanks for having me."

She wanted to cry. It was childish, she wasn't proud of the sudden need for tears, especially given that she'd originally been mad at him for agreeing to go in the first place, but she was beyond frustrated with the way her mom had acted. Hadn't she always been the model student, not to mention daughter? Was there no trust here? "I'm sorry," she whispered to him as she opened the front door for him.

He just smiled at her and touched her cheek reassuringly. "Don't worry about it, Candy. I'll text you." With that, he stepped out into the night, got into his car, and pulled away.

She slammed the door shut with enough force to convey her anger and then turned on her heels and stomped off to her room, slamming that door as well for good measure.

Ten minutes later, Eleanor slipped through the door, looking as happy as a clam. "I've been waiting for this moment since your freshman year."

Candice scowled at her, "Waiting for what?"

Instead of answering, Eleanor held out her hand expectantly. "Mom picked up another shift tonight and she'll be leaving soon. She expects you to sneak out, so she'll no doubt be tracking your phone. Give it to me."

Suspicious, but more curious than anything, Candice handed it over without argument and watched as her sister went through the motions of setting up call forwarding. "What are you doing?"

"You're going to leave your phone here with me. I'll send some texts, I'll respond if Mom texts you, and if she calls, it'll be forwarded to Coop's phone so you can just answer it from there somewhere quiet."