Chapter six

The whole day has been dragging on forever, is what Jake thinks. His English teacher won't shut up. What is she talking about? Oh yes, Scrooge McDuck.

"JAKE!" Mrs Ladybug has her metre stick pointed at him. "NAME SCROOGE MCDUCK'S GRAND-NEPHEWS!"

This is easy. Jake knows it. "Huey, Dewey and Louie?"

"NOW QUIT DAYDREAMING!!" She chucks her pen at him, aiming for his big brain. She turns and sashays back to her desk. 

Fin leans in next to Jake, "Dude, you don't wanna piss her off."

"Why is she so delicate? Is she some sort of statue?"

"Nah bro, yesterday Fanny bit her son's leg and he most likely has rabies now. He's in the hospital and has low chances so.. we're all making bets."

"Seriously? Who's all betting?"

"Eh well for him to live there's me, Casey, Claire, and Stewy. For him to not make it, well there's.."

Jakey is losing his temper. "SPIT IT OUT LEITH!"

Fin puts his hands up in mock surrender as classmates turn to give Jake dirty looks. "Aight bro, uh Leo, Roberto, Fanny and Clara I think.."

An uncomfortable feeling washes over Jake, his heart sinking to his stomach. "LEO?!" Classmates continue to give Jake even worse dirty looks. He tones down a bit, "Are you sure?"

Fin nods, "Yup he was there.. oh he's in the background of this picture," He pulls out his iPhone 15 pro maximus signed by Elon Musk. "Here."

Jake is greeted with a picture of Fin, Claire and Casey beaming at the camera and Leo in the back, speaking to Roberto. Jake's blood is boiling. "Send that to me."

He puts his hand up. "Mrs, I have to go practise for the finals." He doesn't wait for an answer as he shoves everything into his backpack, bolting out the classroom. He bangs violently on Mr Ginger's door. "Sorry sir, I need Leo for rehearsal." Mr Ginger nods to Leo.

The moment Leo is out the door Jake pulls him aside. "What the hell?! Why are you betting on a sickly boy?!"

Leo is obviously shocked. "Oh, well everyone else was so.. you should've been there! Fergal bet £1,600 on him to live and Roberto bet £5,700, and then-"

"Enough." Jake harshly cuts him off. "I hope you take the time to realise what's wrong Leo."

He turns abruptly and runs away before Leo has a chance to speak. The dams in his eyes have finally broken, fresh hot tears running down his face as he runs.

~~

Jake is nervously fidgeting with his fingers in the Chapel. The Chapel is where all assemblies and important events are held. The finalists are required to turn up early and be ready. From Jakey's year there is him, Leo, Claire, Casey, Fin and Stewy. He doesn't care about the other year groups.

"Jakey!" Fin is running towards Jake, all the others following behind. He really is an alpha leading his pack.

"Hey Fin. Are you ready?" Jake asks as Fin slides in next to him. He is happy to see a familiar face. 

"Yeah totally bro my piece is awesome. Want me to move? Leo is coming."

"No, stay here." For some odd reason Jake pulls Fin closer to him as Leo sits next to Fin. He looks heartbroken. But as more finalists turn up they're squeezed to the very end, Fin practically on Jake's lap. Oh Leo is not happy.

...

"And now, we have Jake Thomas on the piano!" 

Jake reluctantly pushes Fin off his lap as the whole school erupts into cheers. He sits on the stool.