Wattpad Original
There are 6 more free parts

Ch 3: Shattered Glass

Lucifer

I watch Cassandra take an involuntary step backwards as the realisation hits her.

"Lucifer," she repeats, her voice incredulous. "Like...like the devil?"

"No. Not the devil." I'm so tired of that assumption. Can you not even stage a minor rebellion in Heaven without being cast as the true evil of the world? "But now is not the time to dawdle. If we want to avoid company, I suggest we leave. It's not safe here."

I don't know how many Hellbound came searching for them in their flat, but if the blonde one can do what it appears like, they will bring as many as they need to get her.

The three sisters still look uncertain, the younger ones huddled slightly behind Cassandra. She's their protector. I can respect that, but my patience is running thin.

"We can talk when we get back to HQ," I say. "Or you can stay here on your own and see how you fare against a dozen Hellbound. And you should know the one you fought in your flat was not one of their most powerful ones."

A myriad of emotions flitter across Cassandra's face as she tries to decide what to do. Finally, she lets out a frustrated sigh. Their options are severely limited, and while I don't think she trusts us, she has decided we're the lesser evil. For now, at least.

"Fine," she says. "But only until Aura's mark fades and it's safe for us to leave."

"Of course." I nod, even though I suspect I don't want them to leave. The Hellbound are not the only ones who could make use of her sister's abilities.

We hurry back to the cars, and Dare ushers the younger sisters into the SUV, while I open the passenger door to my Bugatti for Cassandra. She hesitates, her gaze straying to her sisters.

"They'll be fine," I say. "It's less crowded if you ride with me. The driver of the other car will heel us so you won't lose sight of them. And Dare's with them."

After another moment, she nods tightly before getting into the car. I close the door before walking around and getting in the driver's seat. After so many years banished on Earth, I have accumulated many things, but few bring me as much enjoyment as a good car.

We drive through London in silence with Cassandra checking the rear-view mirror every so often, making sure the car with her sisters is still following. She's tense and her movements jerky. I suppose I can't blame her for feeling uneasy. Tonight has been full of surprises.

"So...the fallen angel?" She eyes me from across the car. "But not the devil."

"Correct." I like that she's remaining calm and analytical even as she must be shocked by the revelation of my identity. I rarely tell mortals who I am, but the few times I have, they've definitely reacted more than this. It's a testament to her strength. "I am Forsaken. Banished here after my rebellion to atone for my pride."

She scoffs. "How much atonement can you do while being one of the richest men in the country?"

A smile tugs at my lips. "I don't see why I can't be comfortable while paying my penalty."

"What is your penalty? Since living in frugality obviously isn't it."

It's my turn to hesitate. I'm not sure how much to tell her yet. There is a whole world beyond what she knows. A battle between good and evil where humanity is left hanging in the balance.

"Let's focus on getting home and letting you and your sisters rest. Tomorrow we can discuss everything."

She groans. "Are you always this secretive?"