A Helping Hand

Lute's POV:

I didn't get a wink of sleep last night. All I spent those eight hours doing was crying for the loss of my closest friend.

I miss Adam so much. He's always been there for me when I've needed it most, and surprisingly, he was even supportive of me.

I just wish I was still here...

Anyway, once I felt ready too, I got out of bed and decided to wash my face and brush my teeth. I was horrified by what I saw when I looked at myself in the mirror, but it was my fault I did this to myself!

It was my fault I hadn't grabbed Emily to save me earlier and spare Adam, it was my fault I decided to go through with this all and end up with a best friend who is no longer here...

My thoughts were too depressing, but I didn't want to try and talk about them with anyone. Especially not with Emily. She's just too innocent to hear all of that stuff...

Emily's POV:

I normally get sleep really easily, but not last night. I had been too distracted by the fact that Adam was gone. Even though he wasn't close to me, he was close to Lute...

I feel so guilty that I had completely forgotten all about the extermination and left the exorcists to fend for themselves. Even though I don't support their views and ideas, they are still my people in a way.

I then decided to forget all of this nonsense and just head to breakfast to clear my head. Maybe then I could see Lute, and we can talk about everything that happened!

But when I got there, she wasn't there. I tried looking around before I ate but couldn't find her at all.

"Sera, do you know where Lute is?" I asked, stuffing a sandwich in my mouth.

"After everything that happened yesterday... she is probably going through a lot," Sera explained, "She is probably in her room."

"Okay!" I responded and was about to fly off, but then she stopped me.

"You probably shouldn't bother her!" The higher seraphim said."She needs time to grieve!"

"Well, we can grieve together!" I replied with a smile.

She knew she couldn't stop me, so she just smiled back and nodded for me to excuse myself. So with that, I took a place and grabbed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (as that is her favourite) and flew to her room.

Lute's POV:

Suddenly, I heard a knock on my door. I wasn't really too sure if I wanted to answer, but I knew there was a huge chance it was Emily and that I wouldn't want to upset her as she is the only person I have left.

So I flew over and opened the door. On the other side was Emily, but she didn't look like her usual self. This was the first time I had ever seen her with a frown.

"Hi Lute, are you okay?" She asked.

I so badly wanted to lie so I could be left alone with my thoughts, but then again this is my crush and I didn't want to push away our potential chance of getting together, so I didn't.

"I'm not feeling the greatest..." I muttered in response, feeling embarrassed that I was admitting to it.

"Do you want to... talk about it?" She then questioned.

I mean, this would mean I could spend some much needed time with her, soooooooo...

"Sure!" I responded and then opened the door wide for her.

I flew onto my bed, and then she followed behind me. We both sat at the edge beside each other, and it reminded me of back when I comforted her after the jury of if a sinner could be redeemed.

"How are you doing without your arm?" The seraphim asked.

I looked down and realised that one of my arms was gone. I was so wrapped up in my grief that I completely didn't realise it was missing.

"I seem to be functioning without it, I'm more in pain about the loss," I replied, and then asked, "How do you feel about the whole situation?"

"I mean, I didn't really know Adam that well..." Emily mumbled, "I am obviously sad, but I know you are definitely feeling it worse!"

There was then some silence, or that was until I felt the whip or truth lash on me and spill all of the depression beans.

"I just miss Adam so much, I just want to believe so much that he is still here, but he isn't!" I admitted.

"Yeah!" Emily responded sympathetically and nodded along.

"I just want to ANNIHILATE that little cleaner girl that stabbed him, but where would that get me?" I asked.

"Nowhere, he's still gone," She reminded me, putting a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"If only I could have realised this would hurt you and end the extermination before he could get hurt..." I mumbled.

"I feel that way too..." Emily admitted.

"I just don't know how I'll be able to live with him?!" I exclaimed, "But..."

"But?" Emily asked, a smile starting to form on both her face and mine.

"But he wouldn't want to see me like this!" I said, "He would want to see my sassy attitude kick back in and to feel happy I'm spending time with you!"

"Yes, I knew I could make you feel better!" Emily exclaimed, wrapping her arms around me with joy.

"Wow, that happened to me there?" I asked, "That's was a rush of emotions!"

"What you just went through is known as "the five stages of grief"!" Emily explained, "Although normally it takes weeks, months or even years to come to the acceptance stage, you just went through it all in a minute!"

Because she was starting to make me feel a little better, I decided to hug her back. All of this was so nice, but it couldn't last forever...

"If you ever need me, I'm always willing to lend a helping hand, literally!" Emily said as she was about to exit my room, giving me a wink.

"Thank you for everything!" I exclaimed, a blush starting to creep on my face.

"No problem, bye byyeeeee!" The seraphim responded and then closed the door on me.

As soon as she left, the blush disappeared, and all five of the stages of grief started whirling around in my head. It's like without her and Adam, I'm falling apart.

What she did was sweet, and I really do appreciate it, but I can't let this happen again, I can't continue being a burden to her.

I know what I have to do next...