Locker Room Conspiracies

[Jul]

"Dae is leaving next week."

I was getting dressed after gym when those five little words brought my mood tumbling down.

"The band got a gig in L.A.," Sanny continued as she snapped together the back of her bra. "They're giving one last performance tomorrow."

I sat down on the bench next to my locker. "Are you sure?"

"Kay told me. It's at his stepfather's club so he can get us in. Only problem is, it's in the Bowery."

"Dad never lets me go into the city."

"What if he doesn't know we're going?"

"It's impossible to sneak out of the estate, and the only other place I'm allowed to go these days is school."

"The Fall Semi-Formal is on Friday. It's on school grounds, you can only get in if you're invited, and there will be responsible adults all over the place. Even your dad can't object to that."

Dae filled the only sweet dreams I had left, as fleeting as they were. I wanted to look into his eyes again, to pretend they were gazing on me with love instead of the revulsion I was used to. "What about Brandon? He never leaves us alone."

"He's not here now."

"Because we're changing. We get ten minutes for that, but only two for a bathroom break. I don't think he'll give us more than two just because we're at a dance. And how would we sneak out of the bathroom? He'll be waiting by the door."

"Juliet, relax." Sanny slammed the door of her locker shut with a confident thrust of her panty-clad hip. 

"Leave Brandon to me," she said with a wink.