003.

CINNAMON ROLL SEASON

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

Adam Banks, James Larson, and Braden McGill had all been chauffeured to the event together. Their competition for today? The Paynesville Panthers. The boy's discussed game strategies and possibilities whilst approaching the arena.

Lost in thought, Adam rammed into someone. It was a girl, with long brown hair, dissected and styled in two braids. She possessed a helmet in hand that looked like it failed quality control. D-5, Adam read the peeling pink vinyl lining her helmet. The girl played for District 5.

"I'm so sorry, are you okay?" Adam immediately apologized, after unintentionally initiating contact with the female.

"Yeah, I'm okay, don't worry about it." The girl smiled back, before continuing to trace the path she originally walked. There was something about the girl that had captured Adam. He watched as she walked with (who he assumed to be) her parents before Larson and McGill interrupted his train of thought with teases.

"I'm so sorry!" McGill mocked in a high-pitched voice, flapping his hands in front of him. Larson giggled in return, but the tall boy encouraged annoyance from Adam.

"Cut it out." Adam spoke curtly. His thoughts lingered on the kind, pretty pre-teenager, wondering how her game resulted.

Before Adam went to sleep that night, he replayed the moment continuously in his head. Now he had another reason to look forward to next Friday: the opportunity to break records, and to reunite with the sweet soul he met earlier.

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

The brown eyed girl sat with her brows furrowed as her irises hungrily scanned the ink tattooed on the paper of the current book she was reading.

The radio faintly drifted from the car speakers, shuffling through the most current popular songs, occasionally vocalizing a promotion of some sort. Mark and Michelle kept quiet conversation in the front seat.

Currently, the trio was making the forty-five-minute drive to Michelle's parents, who resided on Lake Minnetonka. It was family tradition to spend one night a month up on Evelyn's grandparents' lakeside estate.

The lake was a true winter wonderland, frozen over and surrounded by snow coated trees. Small icicles dangled from the roof, and strings of light bulbs glowed a warm, amber tone.
The Foster daughter had spent a lot of her early childhood babysat by her grandparents, the Evans. Michelle had gotten pregnant at 17 and gave birth to Evelyn shortly after she legally became an adult. She prioritized her large array of jobs, in replacement of nursing school. The small family of three moved out of Michelle's childhood home when the youngest Foster turned three. Once Evelyn turned ten, Michelle had saved enough money to start attending nursing night school, while working at Mickey's diner in the daytime.

Mark, on the other hand, had attended the local college, majoring in journalism, aspiring to write reports. His studies lead him to success, as he was currently a high ranked contributor and editor in the Minneapolis newspaper.

The vehicle pulled onto a private drive, a long stretch of gravel that led to the Evans's large, white lake house. A concrete driveway splayed out before the house, offering lots of parking room. A hockey goal sat in the grass, for Evelyn to use if she felt like practicing.

Two large, white pillars extended from the small porch to the roof. The cylinder shapes framed a sleek black door, with two slim windows hugging each side. Stacked stone slabs lined the flower beds that wrapped around the left side of the house. The roof was multidimensional, many triangular prisms protruded the base of the ceiling. Windows were organized along the long walls of the Evans' household, the kind that opened outward with two petite white framed doors.

Evelyn smiled to herself as the engine shut off and marked the page in her novel. She and her parents unclicked their seatbelts and exited the car. Mark popped the trunk, distributing each baggage to its rightful owner. A woman with short, blonde (but graying) hair opened the door, revealing a brown goldendoodle bounding towards the newcomers. The woman wore pearls on her ears, a crème turtleneck sweater, jeans, and white flats. She outstretched her red manicured hands, as her grandchild practically jumped into her arms.

"Aw, my beautiful Evelyn! My, you've grown since I last saw you!" Grandma exclaimed, cradling Evelyn's beaming face to her chest. The almond-colored dog barked, begging for attention.

Evelyn entered the house, removing her shoes and bringing them to the closet. She removed her heavy jacket and hung it on a coat hanger in the closet. The panting puppy traced her steps, waiting for her greeting.

"Oh, hello, my baby! Oh, yes, oh, yes, I missed you!" Evelyn babied, crouching down to the dog's level. Her palms rested below the dog's ears, her thumb caressing the fur below her eyes and her other four fingers itching behind its ear.

The dog was named Teddy. Evelyn had named her when she was six years old, after the teddy bear that sat displayed on her bed every day. The puppy was groomed every month and was extremely well behaved. She was an extrovert and wore a pink leather collar sewed with brown string, handpicked by grandma and her granddaughter.

The Foster family made their way around, greeting both grandma and grandpa before trekking upstairs to place their bags in their room.

The house was embellished with white furniture, fine china, and clay sculptures. Safe to say the appreciation of fine art ran in the family.

The building was kept clean, and was decorated simply, but elegant. Occasional pops of color (typically royal blue or light brown) appeared in the majority white color palette. Extravagant light fixtures hung from the highly placed ceilings in different rooms. Honey mead oak wood extended throughout the whole house; a recent renovation made by the senior couple.

Evelyn plopped her bag in the room designated as hers. A plush headboard was pressed against the wall to the left, a cushioned chair placed in the far-right corner. A large window let the afternoon light stream through the room. To the right of the door was an extension of the wall, lining the closet. An intricately detailed vanity sat opposite the bed.

"Who wants to bake cinnamon rolls?!" Grandma called up the stairs.
Evelyn sprinted to exit her room, bouncing down the polished stairs, her dainty hand skimming the handrail.

"I even bought an extra icing container for just you," Grandpa acknowledged Evelyn's love of the sugary sweet Pillsbury vanilla frosting.

"So... I can just eat it with a spoon?" Evelyn excitedly whispered, gnawing on her bottom lip.
"Have at it! Just don't tell your grandmother I let you," Grandpa winked. "And leave some for me!"

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

The cool Minnesota breeze teased Evelyn's skin. Goosebumps lined her body, each individual hair standing, despite the warm layers laid on her body.

The twelve-year-old was thickly clad in white earmuffs, her grandmother's pink scarf (sewn by Grandma Evans herself!), a thick cable knit sweater, leggings, white leg warmers, and white skates.

Grandma and Mom sat in the kitchen discussing recent life events while waiting for the oven to inform the finished product of the pastries the family had baked previously. Grandpa and Dad stood on the ice (also in their skates) while Evelyn danced around.

The characteristics that earned her nickname ('The Fox') were her puck stealing abilities and skating abilities. With the lake being frozen over a majority of the year, (and a family fond of gliding the slippery surface) Evelyn was a natural skater. Her mom had grown up to be a figure skater and taught her miniature self to twirl and trick the way she did in her youth.
While Evelyn primarily craved committing to the sport her mom had loved, there was never enough lying around for her to do so. Her father had suggested hockey instead, (as he grew up playing the intense ice sport) and she asked her friend, Connie, to join her. They had been on their team since they were eight, and Evelyn wouldn't have traded it for the world.

Eventually, it was time for the family to head in. They sat and conversed on the couch, before readying themselves for bed. The goldendoodle dog lunged onto Evelyn's plush bed, twirling in a circle, and digging her paws into the mattress before settling into a curled position. Evelyn fell asleep with a soft smile, dreaming of fun fantasies with her family.

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

ALLIE'S ACCLAMATIONS !

ok so actually what the flip is going on. i wrote this in google docs and why does it copy and paste so weird? ugh. anyways, once i figure out what's happening i'll update. again, just another filler, but d1 will be in next chapter. thanks for all those reading, hope you've had an amazing day.