003. ⋆。゚( visions of gideon )

now playing:

sufjan stevens - visions of gideon
0:01 ❍─────── 4:08
↻ ⊲ Ⅱ ⊳ ↺

🄲🄷🄰🄿🅃🄴🅁 🅃🄷🅁🄴🄴

one year ago...

            IT WAS EMMY's 21St BIRTHDAY. they had just gotten back from a dinner that the uconn team had kindly planned for her. they ended up at a bowling alley because they found out about emmy's past as a competitive bowler after scrolling down her instagram. she and her dad had won trophies and everything but she chose to keep it on the down low. it's not much of an accomplishment to brag about to emmy but they hype her up about it any chance they get. all of that and yet emmy was too busy demanding and commanding her boyfriend's attention. matt, whose magnetic allure masked a subtle detachment that gnawed at her soul.

matt's a good looking guy. a quality emmy thought was hard to let go of because relationships have always felt like something she had to do. it's a task to find someone you find attractive and then get to know them and date them. yet, everyone made it look so easy. she thinks of girls with their boyfriends like fishing. people would catch a decent fish, take a picture with it, post it, and then throw it back in the ocean once they got what they wanted out of it.

matt brought along his best friend who "just so happened" to be an attractive girl. so sure, she was a little bit jealous of how close ally and matt were. she could barely earn a glance from him when she was around. so she drank until she could ignore the jealousy and anxiety seeping their way into her brain instead. especially tonight. her birthday had been way too good so far not to mess up.

all twenty of them shared a bowling lane. some were more competitive than others and some would crouch and hiss whenever someone rolled a ball. a few sat back and talked, mingling by the bar in between turns. emmy would probably care if ally wasn't here, and also matt.

they had been dating for four months. the longest romantic-ish relationship emmy had in her life up until that point. he was nice, except for when he was stressed or sometimes annoyed. it wasn't like he was mean when he was in those moods, he just didn't treat emmy in any way at all. she became decorum to him. she was also too busy for him, apparently. he was down on her list of priorities, apparently. every game he went to would just be him complaining on the sidelines about calls. basketball isn't a sport he enjoys. he's a baseball fan, and he always managed to bring that up.