1.8| cupboard

"wow, she really looks like a witch. like, kind of sexy witch who smokes a lot." charles is using his small telescope to see the blonde woman who just stepped out of her house. esther finch. winnie had saw her a few times before and had also changing a few interactions. winnie had always thought that she was really suspicious but she never caught her doing anything wrong, so she didn't really pay attention to the woman anymore. but, now.. kidnapping girls for staying young? that's one wicked witch.

"she's a witch who needs to get to the post office to clear up some trouble over an unclaimed package." crystal smirks as she put her hands in her jacket's pocket. they all watch as the woman starts the engine and swerves the car around, running over a trash bin. winnie squint her eyes before smiling in amusement "and she's also a really bad driver."

"alright, charles, winnie. let's go." the three ghosts was about to walk towards the house when crystal stop them. "uh i know we're cool now but it feels like you not letting me come is punishment for the secret demon thing? which was totally my bad, very screwed up. i should've told you everything." she stepped back a bit.

winnie glances at edwin, a bit worried if another argument were to start. edwin take a deep breath before stepping towards crystal again. "witches are dangerous. i once saw a witch turn a girl into a small piece of plastic. she couldn't move, never aged but she still could feel everything. and that is her forever now."

"holy shit." crystal muttered in fear and shock. winnie and charles exchange a look, before the boy step towards them. "the witch can still hurt us ghosts but we are already dead. you still have a life to lose. let's keep it safe while we can." charles give crystal a sympathetic smile before patting edwin's arm.

"oh and.. we're punishing you." edwin added, winnie could only rolls her eyes with a smile. she turns around to look at crytal, walking backwards slowly. "don't worry, crystal. it'll be just a few minutes. we'll bring you a trinket from the witch's house, yeah?" she gave a toothy grin before turning around to catch up with the boys. crystal scoffs and smile in amusement.

*⁠.⁠✧

the three of them went through the wall, entering the house's kitchen. the crow that was sitting in the kitchen squawk in panic. "hello, crow. keep it down, will you? you'll give us away." winnie whispers to the bird.

charles opens a few of the cupboard above the kitchen counter. winnie looks around to see a teapot is sitting on open stove. who leaves their home without turning off their stove?

edwin went to the cupboard beneath a sink and notice a lock with a weird shape keyhole. "dang. should we check for a key?" winnie asks them both but edwin only shakes his head as he examined the lock closely. "no need. charles, i'm sure you can open this." charles nodded as he fished out something from his backpack.

the crow only squawk, almost as if it was mocking them. "yes, i can, crow. you'll see." he pulls out a set of tools and winnie watch as he works with the lock. they here a click and the cupboard door is unlock. winnie watch in admiration at charles. she nudges him with her elbow "nicely done, charles!" winnie was very impressed.

edwin opened the cupboard door to see empty cupboard with a few tea cups at the side of the cupboard. they all look around in confusion "empty?" winnie and edwin look at each other before flinching when they hear a loud whistling sound coming from the teapot.

edwin went to the teapot and turns off the stove, the whistling sound died down. he then realized something is wrong when he looks at floor where winnie and charles were sitting. "wait a minute. this is different from the plan. this cupboard is too far forward. he kneels besides winnie to take a look inside the cupboard again.

he then notices a string was attached to one of the cups. he looks at it hesitantly before pulling. a loud noise surprises all three of them. the cupboard wall had collapses, revealing a dark room, almost all black. the darkness inside gives of eerie vibe and winnie gulps nervously.

"right. i'll peek in." edwin said nervously while winnie neck snapped to look at him. is he serious? she didn't know if this is bravery or foolishness. she could see that edwin was scared by the look of it and how his hand trembled slightly.

"witch would probably be back soon." charles interjected. and what would happen if she found us here? she knows how esther is, it won't be pretty. "right." edwin takes of his jacket and handed it to charles. he slowly inch himself closer to the cupboard and winnie watch in anticipation.

suddenly, edwin was pulled forcefully into the darkness. "edwin!" winnie and charles panic as they can hear edwin's scream going further away. they both peek into the darkness trying to see edwin.

"edwin, you okay, mate?" charles yell and his voice echoes. they can hear edwin's struggling. "yes, i'm alright. it's magic. sucked me in. i can feel it weighing me down. nothing's supposed to leave here." edwin's voice sounded strained. winnie and charles look at each both, have worried expression. "charles, what should we do?"

charles try to find something in his backpack "do you thing he will need a torchlight? it's pretty dark down there." winnie was about to answers when edwin calls out to them "charles, becky's down here!"

winnie peek her head in the darkness again "that's excellent!" edwin took a few second to calculate the height of the place. "i'd wager it's about a full-story drop. do you have a rope and pulley?"

charles pulled out a long rope and tossed it down. "we need a way to carry her up." winnie looks around her before getting an idea. she takes the backpack from charles' hand before tossing it down to edwin "put her in the bag-of-tricks backpack!"

*⁠.⁠✧

⁠✧