CHAPTER: 85 | LILAC SKY (PART-2)

A/N: This is the last chapter of the book. I've made a few changes in the end. Just the last part.

★★★

"WELCOME BACK HOME!!!!!"

Everyone screamed in unison, greeting Aariz and Laiba back home with a cacophony of cheers and laughter.

Laiba's eyes sparkled with joy at the sight of everyone gathered in the living room: Urooba and her husband, Areesha and her husband, Burhaan, Maha, Essa, and Sarah. The girls rushed forward and embraced her warmly, but when she saw Sarah, a flicker of guilt clouded her expression. Nevertheless, she hugged Sarah tightly, silently apologizing for her past actions, while those around them respectfully gave them some space.

Everyone seemed to be happy and in a celebratory mood, except for Aariz, who had been waiting to be with Laiba since the other day. Only God knew how difficult it was for him to leave her at her father's place after their confession. He had spent the night restoring the deleted pictures on his cellphone and setting up her cellphone again. Only God knew what he had to go through and the lengths he had to go to get her back home. It was a long day at the hospital, dealing with Hayat Hussain and everything else. He didn't get time or space to be with Laiba at all. It wasn't the right time either. So he waited and waited, and when they were finally home and when he thought he would finally speak to her, his cousins had to spoil it all for him.

Aariz internally groaned and pulled Zeeshan to a corner, "Who let y'all in?" he asked, tilting his head towards the house full of people.

Zeeshan lowered the soda can from his mouth. "Don't be mean. The kids wanted to celebrate. They were praying for you when you were hiding away on another continent," he criticized. "Besides, they are doing this for Laiba, not for you."

Aariz facepalmed, "Why today?" he complained.

"Why not today?" Zeeshan asked casually, sipping his soda.

Aariz scowled in response.

Zeeshan raised his brow. "Did we interrupt something?" he questioned.

"Yes, you did," Aariz deadpanned, "Now, get all of them out of here as soon as possible," he ordered.

Zeeshan was amused. "Oh, man," he said, placing a hand on Aariz's shoulder and tsking, "You are desperate, and you're not even discreet about it."

Aariz rolled his eyes and removed Zeeshan's hand from his shoulder. "If you don't take them out of here by 11, I'll kick you all out myself. Got it?" he threatened.

Zeeshan chuckled, "Got it," he said, holding his hands up in surrender.

Aariz sighed and patted Zeeshan's arm. "Good. You can enjoy the party for now." With that, he turned around and left.

Zeeshan snorted, watching him walk away.

★★★

"Why didn't you tell me?" Sarah questioned after Laiba finished recounting everything that had transpired from the night of the reception to this day.

Laiba wiped the tears from her cheeks and lowered her gaze to her hands in her lap. "I was afraid," she admitted, her voice barely above a whisper. "And hurt."

Sarah silently observed her friend as she sniffled and wiped away her tears. So much had occurred in Laiba's life, and Sarah had been unaware of it all. Part of her felt anger towards Laiba for keeping it all to herself and enduring it alone, yet another part wanted to let the past remain in the past and concentrate on their present, which seemed promising based on what she had learned from Laiba so far. She felt relief that it was all behind them, but also sorrowful that Laiba hadn't allowed her to offer support.