Gym class

If you saw Nico in the hallway, you'd probably think he was a girl, what with his long black hair, eyeliner, and porcelain skin. And you wouldn't be completely wrong. The correct term is "demiboy", but that's only when someone pestered him to know his gender. He didn't believe in labels. He was a human who was attracted to other humans. But for those who did believe in labels, he was a gay demiboy. And he was proud of it.

His black hair reached past his collarbone, and today Hazel had French braided it for him, to keep it off his neck in the warmer weather. His simple black backpack was adorned with miscellaneous pride pins, and keychains from musicals he'd been in. He was currently headed to gym, which he was semi excited for. His crush and friend, Will, sat next to him when they were in their "squads", and Will always chose him for his team.

Will was a gym class hero, but he was actually nice unlike the others. Will and Nico were great friends, and they'd even hung out outside of school a couple times on early dismissal days, when everyone walked to the nearby Chick-fil-A. Nico set down his bag and pulled off his t shirt. He used his arm to partially cover his scarred chest as he rummaged through his bag to grab his gym shirt. He pulled on the light blue tee, the navy words "Middleton High" on the front, with "di Angelo" in sharpie on the back. He shoved his bag in a locker as Will walked in.

"Hey Neeks!" Will said brightly. Nico rolled his eyes.

"I told you not to call me that," he remarked, with eyebrows raised. Will smirked.

"Exactly why I do call you it." Nico rolled his eyes again and shoved Will's shoulder. "Hey, if you really hate it, I won't. I don't want to annoy you."

"Well, nickname or not, you do that anyway!" Nico said, pushing open the locker room door.

The gym teachers gave them a choice between walking around the gym, or playing basketball. Most of the girls were walking, while most guys were shooting hoops and scrimmaging their friends. Nico was chatting with Annabeth, Piper, and his half sister Hazel as they walked around. Every so often, Will would lose his focus, watching him smile and laugh and listen to the girls. And every so often, Nico would catch his eye and blush while smiling softly. Will would just do the same until Percy waved a hand in front of his face.

"Yo, man, quit staring at my cousin!" he said, hitting Will upside the head. Percy was a senior, and Nico and Will were juniors. Percy had gym the same period and they hung out often.

"I wasn't!"

Percy raised his eyebrows as he passed the ball to Thalia.

"Seriously I wasn't!" Will said defensively.

"Dude, you're obsessed with him!" Thalia countered. She shot the ball and it spun around the rim before it went in. Percy high fived her and rebounded the ball. He went to pass it to Will, when all of a sudden he wasn't there.

"Hey! Get back here, man!" Percy yelled. Will didn't hear him. He was running toward Nico.

"Hey Nico!" he said cheerfully.

"Hey. What's up?"

"Wanna shoot with me and Percy? A-And Thalia?" Will asked hopefully.

"Uh..sure? I'm not very good at basketball, though," Nico admitted.

"I'm sure you're great!" Will assured him.

Damn.

Nico was so attractive and Will could barely focus on the game. Nico jumped and shot, making it in the hoop.

"Will! You could've blocked him!" Percy shouted. Will shook himself back to reality.

"Uh...sorry. I didn't see it," Will said, scratching the back of his neck.

"Hey, don't worry about it! Just a little mistake," Nico said with a warm smile. Will smiled back.

The teacher blew the whistle. "Alright, you're dismissed!"

"Cmon, let's go change," Nico said, grabbing Will by the hand.

"Hey, why do you always do that?" Will asked. All the other guys had left already, but Will waited up for Nico.

"What?" Nico asked as he pulled on his tshirt.

"You always cover your chest. Why? It's not like you're fat you're literally jacked."

Nico blushed. "I'm not jacked Will."

"Ok, so you're 'fit'. But why do you do that?"

Nico bit his lip. "I have scars. All on my shoulders and my chest."

Will's face dropped into a look of concern. "From what?" he asked softly.

"I...I don't really want to talk about it. Sorry," Nico said quickly.

"You don't have to apologize, Nico. It's okay. Come here." Will wrapped Nico in his arms. Nico stiffened suddenly, before relaxing and hugging him back.

"Thanks, Will," Nico said into Will's chest. They pulled away to look at each other and Will smiled.

"No problem." Will realized they were still in each other's arms. He swallowed nervously.

"You okay?" Nico asked quietly. Will nodded, turning bright red. "Is it...because we're so close?"

Will swallowed again. He nodded slowly.

"Do I make you nervous, Will?" Nico could feel Will's breath over his face.

Will suddenly let go of Nico and wiped his palms on his thighs. "Um...we should go. We're gonna be late for sixth period."

Nico stepped closer to Will. "Don't change the subject. Do I make you-"

"Yes."

Nico was slightly taken aback. His lips curled into a smirk. "Well then. Meet me behind the student section bleachers after school."

Will stood there, dumbfounded, as Nico walked away.