74

74

Kaya’s POV.

Five hours or so later, we have gotten back here, and the arguments won’t stop. I’ve tried blocking my ears from it, only to have my thoughts threaten me as well.

I’m gripping the bedsheets tightly, wishing that Olivia could come and tell me that it’s all right since I can’t calm myself. I’ve been so traumatized throughout my life, from childhood until now, that I have no idea how to control my own body without someone else helping me to.

I am like a machine that can only work based on the inputs given to it to operate with.

Their arguments are almost incoherent. The alphas won’t rest with Olivia, as they kept on telling her just how rubbish I am. As much as it annoys me, I believe I should remain in this room and not go outside there.

I snap my eyes close again and try to block my hearing from their words when my thoughts threaten me once again. “killer...killer...killer.”

It keeps ringing in, and I’m disappointed in myself. “No, stop!” I stand up from the bed, rooting my legs into the ground as I stare ahead at the wall directly in front of me.

My chest is continually pounding with heavy shifting up and down. I blink profusely, not knowing what exactly to do to get myself back on track.

On one hand, the alphas are angry that I didn’t finish the triplets’, complaining about how much of an incompetent person I am and that they should have known better than to trust Olivia, and on the other hand, I am glad that I didn’t go ahead with ending them. It’s not who I am, so I head towards the meeting room.

Their words reach more, now clear. “She’s a witch after all, isn’t she? She is a sly and a bitch, can’t you all see? She has lived all her life with the triplets. We can’t just expect her to come here and go against them, can we? We all know what the triplets are capable of. They must have been brainwashed. Hell, who knows? Maybe she is even a spy.”

“Damn you, Damon. She’s been with us for three weeks now. Damn you once again. She is helping the way she can, and why can’t y’all just appreciate it?” Olivia is standing for me, but something is etched in her tone that I don’t want to trust. I am tired of people talking about me as though I’m not there.

I should be able to stand up for myself and, at the same time, accept criticism from people I don’t trust, and it ought to be all fine by then. I’m not created to be perfect.

“I am here. Say all you want to my face, please.” My palms are wet and cold, and my throat trembles from anxiety.

Adrenaline rushes spikes through my skin enough to poison my blood, such that I itch all over. On the outside, I’m fighting hard to keep my appearance cool, but as werewolves and alphas at that, I’m sure they can see through my facades.

“I wasn’t hiding all my words, not from a weakling like yourself, little one.” Alpha Damon finds humour in his sentence before he places his eyes back on me. “Why didn’t you end the triplets like we planned? That was your job, and you failed.”

“Have you never failed before, or have you just become so good at being evil right from birth?” Funnily enough, I do not feel as much anger as I expected as I defend myself. I feel...better? “I am a being of balance. This isn’t me, but because of all the pain that I’ve passed through, I’m working with the likes of you.” Alpha Damon’s eyes squint at me, as do all the other Alphas. They all have their chests broadened out to scare me, and trust me, it’s working, except I’m just fighting against lowering my voice. I’m tired of not being able to speak out loud. I have my rights now, especially now that I’ve gained my powers. I am as powerful as any of them, maybe even more.

“I can choose to do whatever I like, but the only reason I’ve joined you is because we have the same motive. The triplets have hurt us all, but tell me, if I had been captured by your pack, wouldn’t you have done the same? Wouldn’t you have killed me? So, none of you should act like you like me or really need me. I am just a weapon that could make your job easy. That’s all I would ever accumulate.” I finish my words by placing my eyes on Olivia, who’s staring back.

Alpha Xander scoffs. “When you’ve known this truth, why should we trust you? Perhaps we should just kill you then. After all, you’ve proved to be useless to us.” He pauses, and a smirk spreads on my lips.

“You can’t do that.” I’m staring at him now through my lashes, as much as I’m paying attention to every other one of them. I wouldn’t want to lower my guards and get stomped over by any of them.

Olivia is still next to me, and suddenly, she lunges forward. “What the fuck are you guys doing? We need her, and we know it.”

“Do we really? Perhaps she is a weakness that we’ve relied on. Perhaps that’s why we have yet to achieve our goals. If she’s out of the way, we can make independent plans to get rid of the triplets once and for all. And you heard her; she wants to die, doesn’t she?” These men are fools. They have only given me more reasons to believe that men are the start of evil, not the other way around.

It’s just a lie to cover up their lies, and who better could bring us lies that every being would believe if not the actual culprit, which even nature has come to bless so magnificently? Sometimes I wonder why they have to be the most powerful and strongest. They really aren’t worth it. They misuse it. They have grown vile in every generation.

My nostrils wrinkle in annoyance as my eyes shift from Alpha Damon to Xander to Frederick to Lucas.

Suddenly, my ears pick up a grunt before I see Alpha Lucas coming for me. He’s been the silent one and also the first to try to attack. I hadn’t expected it, so his claws ripped into my shirt, tearing it off at my navel.

I wasn’t wounded, thankfully, but with his threat, my eyes are more peeled. Before he can twirl to whip his other hand at me, I bend the wind with my hands, pulling it at him.

Swooshes of air erupt from nowhere, pushing him into the distance. Then, shifting my eyes from the candle on the table, I dart my eyes at him, and the fire draws over to him, exploding at his face, but he’s also quick to block it with his eyes.

The smell of his burnt arms is perceived by my nostrils practically at the same time that I’d hear his scream of pain. The other alphas want to come for me as well, but quickly, I’ve spoken, “duratus. Tacete.” They pause in their tracks, unable to move.

Olivia quickly grabs me by the shoulders and turns me to face her. “Snap out of this, Kaya. You are creating more enemies for yourself. Today, you’ve proved yourself a complete enemy to the triplets, and so long as they are alive, as far as I know, they would be after your head as you’ve threatened their lives, so we are the only ones you have left. You cannot create enmity for yourself here too.” She quickly tells me, and I blink rapidly, wrapping my head around her words.

My head is calculating ten times more than it normally does. “No, don’t tell me what to do.” I slide my shoulder away from her and take a few steps back.

I must decide myself. I can’t have her always telling me what’s right and what’s wrong. How long have I even known her, and my life isn’t even changing?

I am a being of peace, but there’s no peace anyway. What the actual fuck? She’s a she-wolf. Of course, she would choose her own kind over me.

“I need my space to think; don’t follow me.” I say this and release the alphas from my spell. “solvo te.”

The four of them all growl disapproving growls at me. It practically hurts my hearing.

“Kaya, you won’t walk away to someplace you don’t know.”

“Oh, maybe you think I’m too weak, just like these men, but I’m not. I can take care of myself. And aren’t they wolves like you? I think it’d be better to make plans with them. I don’t want to talk to any of you tonight. You are my enemies as much as I see the triplets as one, too.” There’s no difference; I finish inside my head and walk out of the room.

Immediately as I step outside the cabin, the sky rumbles with such loud thunder that the roof is hit by it, and from the inside, I hear one of the alphas scream like a girl. It put a smile on my face, knowing that I did that.

Rain cascades down to earth under the influence of my mood, and I walk inside it, allowing it to help cleanse my thoughts.