Chapter 3

Daniel POV

I woke up the next morning and the memories of the day before flooded back to me. I could feel my face heat up in embarrassment. I hoped I would never see that guy again. Even though I hadn't even seen him too clearly... so... I wouldn't really know would I? Still.

Fuck what day is it?

I looked at my phone which told me it was Wednesday. Shit! Why hadn't my mom woken me up? I got out of bed and quickly took a shower. It was 10:30 so I'd already missed first period, and by the time I got to school it'd be lunch.

I walked the route to school, keeping my head down. The streets seemed active today, I wasn't sure why. Yeah, I had woken up pretty late but 10:30 was still early for them. I hurried my way to school so I wouldn't be noticed, getting there ten minutes before second period ended. I walked through the halls to the cafeteria and sat down at a table far from the entrance against a wall, enjoying the emptiness and quiet. That silence was soon shattered when hundreds of footsteps echoed through the hallways, and the voices of friends laughing and shrieking at each other entered the cafeteria.

I quickly ducked my head down hoping Mason and his friends wouldn't spot me at my corner table. Of course, my table was the first place they looked. Mason had his usual evil grin plastered across his face. Him, Tyler, Jay, and two others who I didn't know the names of sat down at my table, cornering me in my seat.

Why'd I even come to school?

Mason sat to my left and smiled at me.

"Hey. Where were you yesterday?"

I ignored him. Yesterday I had spent most of my day hiding in the study hall room avoiding him. There was always a supervisor there so he wouldn't try too much near them.

"He asked you a question faggot." Jay spit. I could see a few heads turn towards our table, and their conversations dying down.

I slowly felt the beginning of a panic attack. I crossed my arms and closed my eyes, trying to avoid it. I could hear the two guys I didn't know snicker at my weak position. I felt my face being grabbed, very painfully. I opened my eyes and stared into the hate filled ones of Mason.

"Your face doesn't look so good huh?" He laughed in my face and his thumb pressed down hard over one of my cuts, reopening it. I gasped in pain and shoved his arm away, putting one hand over the now bleeding cut.

"Go away." I whispered angrily.

"Sorry, no can do. We missed you yesterday!" Mason said and put his arm around me while I tried pushing him away. He finally let go and I stood up looking for a way out from my table. There were none, thanks to my stupid choice to sit by a wall. Now there were only a few people talking in the cafeteria, the rest quietly enjoying the show.

"Come on, sit! We're not so bad!"

"-Excuse me, I need to talk to Mr. Layman." I looked up and saw Mrs. Cook, and felt relief wash over me as Mason's smile faded. Jay and one of the guys I didn't know had to get up to let me out. Jay gave me a shove while Mrs. Cook had her back turned that almost sent me sprawling. I didn't look back but I could hear their uncontrolled laughter, joined by a few sniggers from other tables as I followed her out of the cafeteria.

I followed Mrs. Cook until we were in her classroom. She was the Pre-Calculus teacher. She pulled up a chair and put it in front of her desk, motioning for me to sit.

"So, Daniel. What's going on?"

"Um. What?" So many things.

"You have over twelve missing assignments! I've talked to most of your other teachers, and same thing with them!"