Chapter 32

Ethan POV

I drove fast, my heart beating quickly. I wasn't worried that Ace knew I was gone all day, I was worried that he would think it was because of Daniel, which would more likely mean harm to him than me.

I glanced sideways at him. He had his eyes closed and his head was leaning against the window. Just a few hours ago we'd been carelessly jumping off of rocks, not worried about the real world. It was undeniably the most fun I'd had in a while. Hell, it was probably the most fun he'd had in a while too.

Next time just man up and kiss him. I sighed to myself, frustrated for yet again, fucking up a perfect opportunity.

We were almost at his place. I was getting increasingly anxious, looking at the time and wondering what Ace would say to me. I pulled into Daniels driveway and paused for a second. Something felt off. I looked around us and felt uneasy.

I waited there a while, not moving and looking around. But I saw nobody. Daniel suddenly stirred, making me jump a bit. He woke up, blinking at his surroundings. I smiled at him,

"We made it," he looked around, confused.

"That was fast," he mumbled. I laughed. He rubbed his eyes and sat up straighter.

"You're not in trouble are you?" He asked me, a hint of guilt in his expression. I smiled reassuringly.

"Nah don't worry I just have to go check in with everyone you know?" He nodded and opened the door.

"Do you have school tomorrow?" I asked. He shook his head.

"No, it's Sunday so just work."

"I'll pick you up in the morning to drive you then." He smiled.

"Thanks. Ethan?"

"Yeah?" There was an awkward pause...

"Um... never mind. Thanks for hanging out with me today, it was fun." I smiled, a bit disappointed.

What was he gonna say?

"It was awesome, let's do it again soon. We need more relaxing days between the two of us." I laughed then looked at my phone. My face fell. There was a missed call from Ace.

Fuck.

"I gotta get going but text me if anything seems off okay? I'm not far and I'll see you in the morning otherwise." He smiled back at me.

"Bye Ethan." He walked up the stairs to his house. I waited a few minutes, making sure nobody was lurking. The unsettling feeling I'd had earlier had passed, and I didn't see anyone in the area, so I started driving back to meet Ace.

I reached his apartment and waited a few seconds before getting out of the car and knocking.

"Come in."

I opened the door, expecting Toto to greet me with a smug face, but it was just Ace waiting at the main table. I walked to him and sat down, waiting for him to say something. It was quiet for a while.

"Is there anything you wanted me to —"

"Ethan, I need you to go to Tulsa next Saturday." I paused, surprised he wasn't asking about my whereabouts.