Chapter 22

Time passed as Earl sat in the dark, hunched in his wheelchair, wringing his hands. How long had it been? He hadn’t slept.

The minutes had passed into hours. For all he knew, the hours had passed into days. He didn’t know what had been on the news; he didn’t know how his shows were doing, didn’t even know what day it was.

It would have been simple enough to turn on the TV and find all those things out. But he just didn’t have the heart. The whole world was outside his door, but as far as he was concerned, it could stay out there.

Deep in his funk, he barely noticed the knock at the door. It was just a small tapping really, hesitant and uncommanding. Whoever it was could go away.

When he heard it again, he wheeled over to the door. He couldn’t reach the peephole, but he could peek out the curtain. College girl was out in the hall. Waiting.

Earl paused. There was a third hesitant knock, so he unlocked the door and opened it a crack. “Yes?”

Jenny stood there. “Hello, Mr. Walker. I just came to check on you. See how you’re doing.” Earl continued to stare, the door still open only a crack. “May I come in?”

Earl looked at her, his hand still on the doorknob. It would be easy enough to simply shut the door and be done with it. He relented. “Fine.” He wheeled himself back into the dark living room.

Jenny turned on the lamp and sat on the chair by the couch. “I know what a hard time this must be for you.”

Earl didn’t answer. He was hunched again, hands locked, staring off into nowhere.

“I can’t believe it myself. I think I’m shaking,” she chattered. She forced a laugh. “It’s like I don’t even know how to talk to you anymore. Isn’t that silly?”

Earl didn’t answer. He didn’t even look at her.

“Maybe I should do some cleaning. Would you like that?”

Jenny got up from her chair. She stood a second, looking at him. Then she went into the kitchenette and went through the cabinets.

She came back with a rag and a can of furniture polish. She began dusting off the furniture around the living room. She wiped off the lamp stand, the end table by the couch, and the credenza. The room was taking on a lemony smell.

“Hey,” she said, “remember how I came and you thought I was a maid?” She moved the television set to the left and dusted. “Well, you didn’t actually think I was a maid. I know, you don’t have maids at Candlewick.” She moved the television to the right, dusted. “But I thought you thought I was a maid.” She put the TV back in place and looked at him. “Isn’t that funny?”

Earl still ignored her, occupied in his own little world. He was like a statue.

Jenny stood a moment, holding the rag. “Do you really want to stay inside like this? We could go outside.”

He shot her a look then turned away from her.

“We don’t have to talk to anybody if you don’t want to,” she continued. “But we could just get some fresh air. We could even just go out to the garden if you wanted. Would you like that?”

He didn’t answer.

“It’s just so unhealthy to sulk like this, all by yourself in the dark,” she continued. “Your spirits will never improve this way.”

He still had no answer.

“Hey, I brought you some materials from other retirement communities.” She set her backpack on the coffee table, pulled out her Bible, and then dug through the bag until she found a stack of brochures. She set them on the table. When he didn’t respond, she went to the TV. “Say, maybe you want to see what’s on right now. Would you like that?”