Chapter 25

Earl had some trouble getting his day started. He was exhausted, he was sore, and he was, oddly, still a nervous wreck. When he poured out his cereal and milk, he barely got them into his bowl. When he brushed his teeth, he dropped them behind the bathroom sink and had the worst time digging them back out.

When he got his pills, his hands were shaking so bad he could barely get them out of their bottles.

It should have been easier than this. After the events of the previous day, the murder of George Kent resolved, Earl had expected to sleep better. But he had slept in fits and starts, tossing and turning all night long.

Earl thought himself free to get on with his life. What more could there be to do?

When someone came to his door, he almost jumped out of his wheelchair. When he peeked out the curtain, he was relieved to see Jenny.

When he opened the door, she was all smiles. She had also brought someone with her. “Hello, Mr. Walker,” she said, “I brought someone to meet you!”

The man, whom Earl judged to be in his thirties, was dressed in a blue button-down shirt and black pants. He offered Earl his hand. “Hello sir, I’m Andy Benton. I’m the pastor at Jenny’s church.”

Earl grunted something positive and let them in. He wheeled back into the living room and motioned for them to sit on the couch. “So—” He struggled to think of some suitable greeting. Finally he finished the sentence with “—how are you?”

Jenny smiled. “I’m doing well, thanks. How are you? I know it’s been like a roller coaster these past few days.”

Earl flexed his hands and smiled. “It’s going to take some time before I can get back to normal, I guess.”

She chuckled. “I’m just glad all that murder business is past us now. You should be very proud.”

“I just made a mess. Sometimes I wish I had stayed out of it.”

“Mark Conroy would have gotten away with murder. You did a great thing.” She reached out and brushed his knee. “Now, we have to find you a place to live.” Jenny pulled her backpack around to her lap. “I did some research online, and I have some printouts here that might help.”

Earl couldn’t look her in the eye. “I appreciate all your help. I don’t quite know what I’d do without you.” He glanced around at all his worldly possessions. “As it is, it will be quite a chore to get all this stuff moved. Even after we figure out where it’s all going.”

Pastor Benton grinned. “Actually, that’s why Jenny brought me out to meet you today, Mr. Walker. She told me about your situation, and I wanted to invite you to come stay with my family until you find a new home.”

Earl had a lump in his throat. “W–what?”

Jenny said, “And the college group at church is going to help you pack.”

The pastor added, “And we can store all your things at the church until you get settled.”

Earl looked from the pastor to Jenny and back again. “Why would you all do so much? You don’t even know me.”

The pastor winked. “Because Jesus said, ‘Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did it for me.’”

“I don’t know what that means.”

Jenny grinned. “It means we’re supposed to help you. Besides, I know you—and I think you’re worth helping.”

Earl didn’t know what to say.