Chapter Four- On the Run

Four

    We were driving at a terrifying speed faster than I could even think--about anything. Trying to process what I had just witnessed was horrifying. I just wanted to shut it out, pretend I'd never seen that. But it was impossible to block out. I was so scared to even think that Sydney was in jeopardy too. And I still didn't know why! This was majorly jacked up.

    It was a silent ride over to Sydneys house and when we pulled up in front of her lawn, my palms were sweating and my stomach was in knots. We both sat like statues for a very long time.

    "Kaylee, you have to go, you're the only one she'll listen to!" Jack demanded in an urgent voice.

    "What the hell am I supposed to say to her?! I don't even know what's going on!" I yelled frantically.

    "Kay," he said, his hand on my knee, his voice softer. "Please... you care about her, right?"

    I nodded.

    "Then you need to go talk to her."

    "What do I say?" I whispered, defeated. My voice sounded thick.

    "Whatever it takes," he said harshly. A chill ran all the way down my spine and I stepped out of the car quickly, before I could shudder audibly.

    I didn't bother tapping on Syds window--she was a heavy sleeper. But I was her best friend and I knew she didn't keep her window locked, since she was the care-free, didn't-matter-what-happened-tomorrow- kind of person.

    I slid open the large square window on the side of the Allisons house, Sydneys bedroom window, and slid in quietly so they're maniac miniature schnauzer didn't hear me and go crazy.

    I tiptoed over to Sydneys bed where she was sleeping like a rock. Huh. Guess the whole Mitchell being brutally murdered somehow didn't disturb her like it did me.

    I took a deep breath, tears coming to my eyes, terrified. I had no idea what to say, or how to say it.

    "Sydney," I whispered, shaking her shoulder. "Sydney! Syd!" I groaned, realizing that she was still in deep rem cycle. I paced around her room, worried, anxious, fidgeting, until I was finally determined to wake this girl up. I took some skin from her upper arm in between my thumb and index finger and twisted it hard.

"Ow!" she shouted, sitting straight up in bed.

   "Sydney, shhhhh!" I demanded, cupping my hand over her mouth. She stared at me for a second, her eyes wide and I removed my hand.

    "Kaylee, you idiot, you gave me a heart attack, what are you doing here?!" she hissed.

    I drew a shaky breath. "Sydney, we have to go."